The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
dormat13

HELP! 67 ps conversion

Hello All,

I've been reading up and trying to gain all the knowledge needed for the infamous manual to power steering conversion. well...I still need some help!

The Biggest Question I have is: do I have to shorten the steering column/shaft on this conversion???

ALSO, I wanted to list the things I've ordered as a sort of check list. can anyone give me some feedback and let me know if it sounds like I have what I need? I've read a lot on here about this, but it never hurts to get some fresh feedback!

I've ordered and received a gearbox for a '70 from Oreilly's. I ordered a pitman arm, rag joint, power steering pump, and high and low pressure hoses from advance auto.

some brackets were included along with other parts when I bought the truck and I believe them to be for the pump. (i'll throw in some pics so someone can confirm or detest this)

I intend on using 4 1/4" spacers for the gearbox.

I CANT SEEM TO FIND a damn pulley though. may have to try a junkyard.

well, based on all of this, where do you guys think I stand in getting this done?

THANKS!!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
bugmasta

Re: HELP! 67 ps conversion

I took the complete system off of a 72 and it bolted right onto my 68. Pump, gearbox, pitman arm, pully, everything. Nothing had to be fabricated. Just FYI
Posted via Mobile Device

Club longbed ...cause girls like'em long!!!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
WIDESIDE72

Its pretty straightforward if you can score all of the parts from one donor. Having to buy here and there makes it a little tougher. Try a wtb ad on the parts board for anything missing. I have heard that 67's need some "finessing" of the frame for box mounting due to the fact that the frame is flat where the box mounts and originally used a ram assist on the steering linkage itsself. Have you searches this forum for "67 ps swap" or similar threads?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

You do not have to shorten the column. I did this to my 71. The lower shaft on the column will slide into to upper part of the steering column shaft. I used a gear box of a 70 from a salvage yard and a pump off an 80's blazer. Used the blazer pump brackets and pulley. Very glad I did the convertion. Good luck. You will be happy when it's done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
chasinhiway

On my 67 i had to massage the frame slightly where the steering box mounted to the frame. On the power steering truck I got it from the frame had a slight bend in it to clear the box. My manual steered 67 did not have it so the box wouldnt fit tight against the frame. I used a torch and a hammer and in about 5-10 minutes it was done. It doesnt have to be massaged much. The stock one piece steering shaft out of my 67 bolted right up to the steering gear with no problems. I personally wouldnt space the box with washers or anything because that changes the distance between the idler and pitman arm. Just my opinion though.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
dormat13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Its pretty straightforward if you can score all of the parts from one donor. Having to buy here and there makes it a little tougher. Try a wtb ad on the parts board for anything missing. I have heard that 67's need some "finessing" of the frame for box mounting due to the fact that the frame is flat where the box mounts and originally used a ram assist on the steering linkage itsself. Have you searches this forum for "67 ps swap" or similar threads?
Posted via Mobile Device
I've definitely done some forum searching on the issue. i'm aware that the 67 has some issues due to the fact that the chassis does not have the "divot". but was wondering if a shortening of the shaft was in order since I've seen that some of the earlier trucks required this mod. I thought it may be necessary since the truck was manual. wasn't sure if the new box required a shorter distance to be traveled or something. haven't read anything like that but just trying to find out before I get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW DOUGH View Post
You do not have to shorten the column. I did this to my 71. The lower shaft on the column will slide into to upper part of the steering column shaft. I used a gear box of a 70 from a salvage yard and a pump off an 80's blazer. Used the blazer pump brackets and pulley. Very glad I did the convertion. Good luck. You will be happy when it's done.
Posted via Mobile Device
great. i'm really hoping that it's a relatively simple connection. definitely looking forward to the upgrade.
Closed Thread