The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
rdlackey

1957 rear main engine seal

Just had my original, stock 283V8 motor completely disassembled and rebuilt. After putting it back into the truck and starting it up, everything went fine, except for what appeared to be a serious leak from the rear main engine seal.

There was a constant, steady drip every single second. After driving it for a couple of weeks, we hoped that the replacement rope seal would swell up and seal the rear end. While the leak did not get any worse, it certainly did not get any better after several hundred miles of driving. In fact, we were losing almost a quart of oil every 100 miles. No leak when engine was off, only while running.

We looked into the neoprene seal solution and it did not work. The newer design rope seal replacements did not work.

Then some one led me down the path of the BEST GASKET Company and their new graphite rope seal.

We order the proper kit and today we installed it per the instructions from Best Gasket. NO LEAKS!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
rdlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1957 rear main engine seal

Cool, I had never heard of them until lately and a couple of more guys on the net have said that they have had good luck with their products.

Link to their website. http://www.bestgasket.com/

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Speedbumpauto

Re: 1957 rear main engine seal

I use their seal on all my flathead rebuilds. They work. I think the greatest asset is being able to make a clean cut on the ends because of the material they use and the blade in the kit. Using the supplied spacer is also a good thing as it makes you cut long instead of flush which is a common mistake made during installation.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote