The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Hellbent
Don't blame the messenger

FYI-Chrome Tilt Ebay Steering Column KMJ

I have seen many people inquiring about these columns sold on Ebay by KMJ Performance. I just wanted to relay my experience, maybe it will help someone out.

I purchased a NEW 30" Chrome tilt column floor shift from KMG Performance last November. I have a tendency to stock pile parts and store them until I'm ready. This was a case where I purchased in Nov and opened the package, verified all parts were there but I didn't unwrap anything. I stuck the package in storage until yesterday.

I unwrapped the column and found smudges and scuff marks all over it. Fear set in, this thing is used... Hoping for the best I began mock-up and assembly. Mounting the hazard knob, I immediately realized that the plastic threads were used. The knob sat wobbly and wouldn't click for contact. Upon further investigation, I see that the switch assembly is in pieces. Great- I have had this thing for 6 months... No way will they ever take a return or even consider my situation. Finding replacement parts for this thing will be impossible... Now, I'm not sure what to do. I have emailed KMJ and am hoping for the best. Maybe just maybe they will have a lead on a replacement part. CHECK ALL YOUR ITEMS THOROUGH THE MOMENT YOU GET THEM. Timing is my enemy here. Lesson learned.

OK- If you have ever wondered about the $200 dollar Chinese columns. Here is my review. Let's take out of the equation- I was deceivingly sold a used column. And assume it's brand spanking new. Overall the finish is nice. Tilt is strong and spring loaded, you pull and wheel auto tilts up. The fit is mass produced and lacks fine tuning. The holes for the levers are not lined up center, but seem to have the necessary clearance. The signals are self cancelling and well you know my issues with the hazard. It feels smooth and turning the wheel seems catch free.

This bolted in the original dash cradle and utilized a new firewall rubber just fine. Now, keep in mind- I have a custom dash. I cant say how this would line up to and original cluster.
That said, You just need to modify the steering linkage, I cut the original knuckle off, rebuilt the rag joint and installed a 1" DD to 3/4" smooth u-joint. This column wiring is newer GM and comes with a straight connector. I found a straight connector in the salvage and made my own conversion utilizing the connector from the original column. I have a Billet Specialties wheel and had to shorten the 9 mounting bolts about 1/8" because they were bottoming out in the adapter before snugging the wheel.

I am months if not a year away from actually being able to comment on performance. I will say that because of the apparent lack of quality of the Hazard switch gear, I would not use this column as a daily driver. I worry about the overall quality of the switch gear. You get what you pay for. But, for me budget over-rides. I'm moving forward and will post more once I work through the hazard issues.
Good Luck with your build!

On the Level
Just a guy with a hammer and a grinder. OH!, and an HOA- enough said...: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372525
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge while others just gargle."
Hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
mgchevyparts

Re: FYI-Chrome Tilt Ebay Steering Column KMJ

You have much more to worry about then a hazard knob:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581452
mgchevyparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
1971_402

Re: FYI-Chrome Tilt Ebay Steering Column KMJ

I went threw HELL returning a defective starter from them.. NEVER AGAIN !
1972 Chevy C10 LWB-SWB/Bagged(ALMOST)
1972 Chevy C10 Shortened/SBC(DONE)
1981 Chevy C10 SWB 383/TH350(SOLD)
1971_402 is offline   Reply With Quote