The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
yossarian19

Wheel clearance w/ disc brakes & 70s PS box..?

So, to clear my 70's steering box & if I'm lucky, disc brakes with stock wheels I'm looking at a pair of 1.5" wheel spacers / adapters. I want to keep stock suspension height. Two questions:
First, will this get me the clearance to run stock wheels w/ disc brakes? It's the POL kit. Anyone know?
Second - this would put me at an effective 2.5" back space. How hard is that going to be on my kingpins & bearings? I know it's making life harder in theory, but in practice, am I going to be replacing things noticeably faster than I should be?
As far as I can tell my options include disc-compatible wheels at 3.5" back space that I find ugly, 4" wheels that I like but which I'll need to adjust steering stops with, 1.5" wheel spacers on stock wheels which will stress components (and may still not work with disc brakes) and, most involved but maybe best, relocate steering box further forward.
Anyone been down this road before? If so, what did you find out?
Thanks in advance.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote