The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
gonnuts

Anyone running a factory alt. bracket on vortec heads?

I am trying to put the alt. back on the drivers side, the bracket fits on fine but it's right at the end of the adjustment and the alt. is right against the valve cover. I did some searching on here and found out that bracket won't work with tall valve covers. I never really considered my valve covers tall but i guess they are a little taller & more square than factory. Are the holes in vortec heads maybe in a different place on head than original heads, or are these brackets that tight of fit? Maybe my alt. is bigger than most?? If someone else has this setup, what are you running for valve covers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Anyone running a factory alt. bracket on vortec heads?

How about a longer adjustment bracket?
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
gonnuts

Ya that's what I'm thinking I'll have to find. No idea what off, just have to take mine and find one a couple inches longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

I'm running the stock covers on mine but my vortec improved heads were drilled for both center and perimeter bolts. Haven't mounted the alternator yet but I'm assuming/hoping the holes are the same and that there won't be any issues. Worst thing for me is custom fitting (welding and reshaping) the intake manifold to work with taller port vortec and look stock.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
gonnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
I'm running the stock covers on mine but my vortec improved heads were drilled for both center and perimeter bolts. Haven't mounted the alternator yet but I'm assuming/hoping the holes are the same and that there won't be any issues. Worst thing for me is custom fitting (welding and reshaping) the intake manifold to work with taller port vortec and look stock.
I thought my holes looked right but if you look at the picture even if the valve cover was an inch shorter I still wouldn't have much adjustment. Like posted earlier, I think i need to find a longer adjustment arm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

Mine fits OK, just a little close. Here are the best pictures I have on file. The 1st is on my GMPP crate engine with the chrome valve covers. The 2nd picture is of the 2 syles on covers I have that work. The one with the bowtie is the one in pic #1. The other is of one of the aluminum covers I now have on. Both appear to be lower than your valve cover.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 05-22-2013 at 01:56 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
Hawssie

You might be able to re-clock the alternator, Its hard for me to tell from the picture but sometimes you can unbolt the alt bolts and rotate the front half assembly to rear half assembly and get more clearance that way. It will put your plugs in a different location though. Maybe a CS 130 Alt might fit better, its smaller and more powerful. Thats what I am using.
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
buttrock slp ss

idk if its even a option or if your going with a more original look but tossing the alternator to the other side with the later style bracket that bolts to the intake and water pump i have never have any issues when i do that. but thats assuming your not running ac or like i said going for a more period correct look.
buttrock slp ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Late 70s Corvette upper adjusting arm is what you need. It's longer than the stock truck one but interchanges. I bought mine at the GM dealer for under 20 bucks.

Yes, Vettes used short water pump setups many years later than other vehicles.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
gonnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Mine fits OK, just a little close. Here are the best pictures I have on file. The 1st is on my GMPP crate engine with the chrome valve covers. The 2nd picture is of the 2 syles on covers I have that work. The one with the bowtie is the one in pic #1. The other is of one of the aluminum covers I now have on. Both appear to be lower than your valve cover.
Yep I guess mine are taller, I kinda like mine & don't really want to replace them. I'll look into some of these other options first but if I have to I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawssie View Post
You might be able to re-clock the alternator, Its hard for me to tell from the picture but sometimes you can unbolt the alt bolts and rotate the front half assembly to rear half assembly and get more clearance that way. It will put your plugs in a different location though. Maybe a CS 130 Alt might fit better, its smaller and more powerful. Thats what I am using.
I've never heard of that, I'll look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttrock slp ss View Post
idk if its even a option or if your going with a more original look but tossing the alternator to the other side with the later style bracket that bolts to the intake and water pump i have never have any issues when i do that. but thats assuming your not running ac or like i said going for a more period correct look.
I plan on running a/c someday, also going for stock look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Late 70s Corvette upper adjusting arm is what you need. It's longer than the stock truck one but interchanges. I bought mine at the GM dealer for under 20 bucks.

Yes, Vettes used short water pump setups many years later than other vehicles.
I will check into this for sure, sounds like my best option.

Thanks for all the advice, hopefully I'll get it figured out without changing covers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Tx Firefighter

I went and nabbed a picture from a corvette forum for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
gonnuts

Checked with GM today, it's discontinued. I'll have to ask at the local Corvette club and see what I can find out. I'll do a little research on the computer tonight as well.
The vette one looks a little different, it's straight and looks like it mounts to water pump. The truck ones bolt on top of the bracket and are bent I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by gonnuts; 05-22-2013 at 07:53 PM.
gonnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
gonnuts

Just found this picture on here, that bracket is way longer than mine. Do I have the wrong bracket? The valve covers also look as tall as mine.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  96.8 KB
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
gonnuts

Here's another pic of mine, not sure if it's any better.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  49.0 KB
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
Tx Firefighter

Ecklers Corvette has repros for 24 dollars....you can easily put a little tweak into it and mount it to the lower alternator bracket instead of the water pump. Look at the pictures, they are longer than the truck ones. When I used one, I didn't even realize they were intended to mount to the pump on Vettes. I just mounted it like a truck bracket because I didnt know any better. Doing it that way, I ran real tall valve covers and has plenty of adjustment room on the alternator bracket slot.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1977-1983.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
gonnuts

Problem solved, 72 alt. brackets are longer.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  46.9 KB
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device