The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

Cooling temp question

I used an IR thermometer to check the engine in difference places why it is running. I had my truck running for about 10 minutes the other day and my radiator barely got upto 100 degrees on the return side and about 80 degrees on the supply side. I measured the point at the manifold temp sensor and got about 130, which is what my gauges read. If its just their idling will by cooling fans ever turn on? Does this sound right to anyone else out there running electric fans with four core radiator?
Posted via Mobile Device

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Cooling temp question

If it's just idling the radiator takes quite some time to heat up. The temp sensor is better installed in the drivers side cylinder head (which is the stock location). Drive it around a bit, and let the engine come up to operating temps.

What temp are the fans supposed to turn on with your application?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

180, don't have it licensed so i havent had it out yet but getting close. I was just getting a little anxious
Posted via Mobile Device

PROJECT OLE GREEN

2017 Silverado LT
Old 05-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Lattimer

Mine takes at least 20 minutes idling to get up to 190 where I have my fan set. Right now I have a mechanical gauge hooked up to the intake manifold, and I can watch my truck heat up until the thermostat opens, and then the temp will drop almost 40 degrees. Takes quite a while for it to heat back up to 190, then my fan kicks on.

I have 2 stages of electric fans, 1st comes in at 190, 2nd at 205. Hottest weather I have driven in has been about 80 degrees (so far), but I have never had the second fan come on yet.

What you are seeing seems normal to me.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
68c10airstream

i've used an infared thermometer many times at our powerplant and on my truck, and on my house boiler system and find a lot of inconsistency's. Black electrical tape seems to help applied to the surface. The darker the better. Light colors reflect, where dark colors absorb. I talked our powerplant boss into getting an infared thermometer when i disagreed with him loading coal during the winter. It would let out a lot of steam when i dug into the coal pile, and he thought it was very hot. I said no, it's damp and warm. After using it and shooting it out the tractor window at the pile, sure enough it was about 80 degrees f. ( the lower temp= less tendency for coal fires)
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

Emissiivity is what you need to be aware of. Different materials will emit energy differently. The best surfaces for the ir thermometer are course and non reflective. It is also good to remember the they measure the temputure of an area not a particular point. The laser is just a point of reference. IR guns are great tools and they have gotten pretty inexpensive.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROJECT OLE GREEN

2017 Silverado LT