The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #26
A.T. RockDriller

Re: 66 GMC What engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
60-62 was the years of the hydraulic clutch; same as chevrolet
the GMC does have a different clutch though. more difficult to find. you will be better off to get it rebuilt. just ask on the GMC site and someone will recommend someone close by. there is a decent rebuilder in Oregon I believe
ron
I might be the exception to the rule, Padre, but both my '63's and also my '66 have the hydraulic clutch....
Anyway Bertha..., I'm one of those guys from the '6066 GMC' site....and I sure am available to help if I can...
That spare 351....if it's out of a '67 will be the one ya' want to hang onto.
In '66 and '67 these engines were listed as a performance upgrade by the factory.
It will have a # stamped into the deck right in front of the rt. cylendar head...above the fuel pump that will start with a 351E....serial#.
It is actually one of the Magnum engines with the large intake & exhaust ports an' valves.....for some reason, the factory jes' never actually called it a Magnum.
Should yield 220hp and somewhere close to 370 fp of torque ....as opposed to 165 horsies and around 320 fp or somethin like that.
Pretty cool upgrade for you.
Somewhere on here is a thread with some details on my truck.....had a 305E and stuffed a 351E from a '67 into her....I modified the intake to take a Q-jet....and some other things...I just don't know how to look it up,.....but it's under the title of 'Rockdrillers '63'...
Helluva difference over the others.

BTW....if yer lookin for a machine shop in the Portland area.....which seems a long way from Utah....kinda.....Jerrys Cylinder Head will deal with it for the GMC Vee Sixes..
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2

Last edited by A.T. RockDriller; 02-23-2012 at 10:08 PM.
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. RockDriller View Post
I might be the exception to the rule, Padre, but both my '63's and also my '66 have the hydraulic clutch....
Anyway Bertha..., I'm one of those guys from the '6066 GMC' site....and I sure am available to help if I can...
That spare 351....if it's out of a '67 will be the one ya' want to hang onto.
In '66 and '67 these engines were listed as a performance upgrade by the factory.
It will have a # stamped into the deck right in front of the rt. cylendar head...above the fuel pump that will start with a 351E....serial#.
It is actually one of the Magnum engines with the large intake & exhaust ports an' valves.....for some reason, the factory jes' never actually called it a Magnum.
Should yield 220hp and somewhere close to 370 fp of torque ....as opposed to 165 horsies and around 320 fp or somethin like that.
Pretty cool upgrade for you.
Somewhere on here is a thread with some details on my truck.....had a 305E and stuffed a 351E from a '67 into her....I modified the intake to take a Q-jet....and some other things...I just don't know how to look it up,.....but it's under the title of 'Rockdrillers '63'...
Helluva difference over the others.

BTW....if yer lookin for a machine shop in the Portland area.....which seems a long way from Utah....kinda.....Jerrys Cylinder Head will deal with it for the GMC Vee Sixes..
the hydraulic clutch was used in the 61-62 years due to physical clearances with the x member that was installed with torsion bars. the h/linkage was was applied to the right side of the bell housing. the exception in those years was the "K" series( no x frame) and it may well have also used a h/clutch setup. Don't know!
the frames changed in 63 and light duty went to a mechanical linkage. there was some 62 production carry over(supposedly) into 63 which may be why your 63 4 x 4 has a hydraulic clutch or someone installed it some time.
your 66 is a 4000 series truck . hydraulic clutches were used in larger trucks
seeing as your 63 was a service truck, it may have been ordered that way?????????????
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #28
A.T. RockDriller

Shoot, Padre....You sure are a wealth of knowledge.....You called 'em all correctly.
The project '63, which is a half ton short-step, might have been one of those '62 carry-overs....as it's also sporting the dual MC. It looks like the factory installed that one.
The K1000 may have been ordered as a cab & chassis.....who knows, but it was a fleet vehicle.
I've got a '67 C60 with a five an two apart right now and it has the manual clutch with H linkage.
I wonder if they changed up in '67 or if that's one more difference between GMC & Chev...?
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #29
67chev"BIG-Bertha"

Well, everyone who has been posting on this thread will probably want to kill me for what I did. I sold the cab and front clip off of it. I'm keeping the engine for another project, but I'm gonna use the frame and bed for a trailer. I thought it was gonna be a good restoration project, but the offer was too good to turn down and we needed some extra cash. Thanks for all the information guys.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
jbgroby

................get a rope.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #31
67chev"BIG-Bertha"

Okay jbgroby, I deserved that.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #32
67chev"BIG-Bertha"

Well after a lot of thinking, we have decided to sell the engine from this truck. I'm not trying to get in trouble by posting that on here, but if you are interested let me know. Thanks guys.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #33
Matt's k5
BLAZER THIRTY!!

I would be interested i live in orem, shoot me a message
72 HIGHLANDER K5 BLAZER 2nd owner

71 K5 MAMMA'S RIDE!
63 GMC 4X4 305 V6
62 GMC SHORT BED SERVICE BODY V6 (STUMPY)
74 GMC CUSTOM 1500 L/B
Matt's k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #34
67chev"BIG-Bertha"

Hey guys, I am retarded. I am kicking myself for selling the cab and front clip. I talked to my cousin and he has already sold them and doesn't know where the guy lives that bought it. So now I am looking for a new cab at least and possibly the front clip for this truck to fix it right and give it back to my wife for all that she does for me and my boys. Does anyone know where a good solid cab and front clip are in Utah? Thanks for the help guys.