The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Replacing slider with non slider rubber seal?

Where is the best place to get the rubber seal to replace the rear glass?

I have a good sold piece of glass that I want to replace the slider that is currently in the truck with.

How hard of a job is it?

Any tips or tricks I need to know?
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
wraprail

Re: Replacing slider with non slider rubber seal?

Search the site to answer many common questions.
It is your friend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Low87
been here longer than Liz

I really figured CaptKaos (www.73-87chevytrucks.com) would have it, but can't find it on his site.

I had my slider back glass in my '87 swapped to a solid, seems like it was easy for the glass guy. I guess it depends on your experience. What would likely take me hours took him less than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraprail View Post
Search the site to answer many common questions.
It is your friend.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a BS answer. This is a discussion forum. I'd wager 99% of the things talked about have been covered at least twice. Would you have the New Thread feature disabled and only the Search feature active? Might make for a boring site. I guarantee for most repetitive questions asked there's someone reading who was just about to ask the same thing. It also opens the topic up for further discussion and new input from new members. Unwad your panties.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low87 View Post
I really figured CaptKaos (www.73-87chevytrucks.com) would have it, but can't find it on his site.

I had my slider back glass in my '87 swapped to a solid, seems like it was easy for the glass guy. I guess it depends on your experience. What would likely take me hours took him less than one.

This is a BS answer. This is a discussion forum. I'd wager 99% of the things talked about have been covered at least twice. Would you have the New Thread feature disabled and only the Search feature active? Might make for a boring site. I guarantee for most repetitive questions asked there's someone reading who was just about to ask the same thing. It also opens the topic up for further discussion and new input from new members. Unwad your panties.
Im going to attempt to do this one on my own! We will see how it goes!

I agree! I tried searching first and got a website error message!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Depending on the condition of the seal, you might not even need to replace it. The glass guy I use cusses the new ones. IIRC, the seal is set in the truck, and you put a small diameter rope in the channel with the glass. overlap the rope at the top the length of the top of the glass (one end of the rope in each upper corner). lube the channel up really well (soapy water or foaming glass cleaner works well), and set the glass in the bottom of the channel. pull one side of teh rope to get the seal around the glass, then work your way around the window. Once you get to the bottom, pull the other end of the rope to lip the seal over, then finish removing the rope. If your seal has the insert in it, you will need the appropriate lock strip tool to install it. That being said, if it does have the lock strip, it will be fairly easy to rope the glass in; installing the lock strip is a little more difficult. Use plenty of lube, and you should be fine.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
tex_waco_usmc

Mine is toast! I need to replace it.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Any of the online vendors probably have the same, or very similar seals. I would just find the least expensive one, or whoever is having a sale.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Factory sliders use a different seal that factory flat windows. Aftermarket sliders were made to use the factory flat window seal.

Aftermarket seals that I have seen are all for flat glass. I have gotten them from Classic Parts and had trouble with them. It's almost like they are too big.

I have replaced several sliders with flat glass, I've had good luck and easy installation with wrecking yard seals and new lock strip. The only special tools you need are plastic tools (like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...kit-69668.html) and a lock strip tool (like this: Lisle 47000 Windshield Locking Strip Tool :... Lisle 47000 Windshield Locking Strip Tool :...).
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote