The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
355GoldieGM

Tranny questions...

Hi !

I have an 81 sierra grande with a 1978 350 small block in it. Its been pushing a Muncie 4 speed since I got it and I have been looking into a 6 speed for a while.
I recently came across what im pretty sure is a t-56 out of a 1994 lt1 camaro.

My question is can I bolt on the t-56 instead of the Muncie with little modification?

From what I've read and understood, an lt1 t-56 from 93 - 97 should bolt right up....but some people talk about having to change the flywheel? Is this necessary? What about the clutch linkage, is it similar to the Muncie?

Can anyone tell me what kind of surprises I could in-counter... I don't really feel like dishing out a grand for a tranny that i wont be able to use. I of course realise I will need a new clutch and that I may have to shorten the drive-shaft.

My other question is shifter location... is there a big difference in shifter location between the t-56 and the Muncie? If I'am not mistaken the t-56 has 2 or 3 shift ports.. if so do they use the same shifter? and would I be better off using the middle port instead of the tail port?

My Project:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=goldie
355GoldieGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
wraprail

Re: Tranny questions...

Some of your questions depend on which Mincie you have.
I just put a T56 in my 85 C10 last feb. Best thing I could have done. Totally love it.
Answer some of your questions,
I used the same trans (93-97 Fbody), You will need a conversion flywheel. I got mine from Summit, it is a McLeod and it cost me (with shipping and tax) $505. Bull**** but what you gona do. I been told american powertrain has them for around $350.
I could have got one from Jegs and saved $100 but it was a Ram, was made of aluminum and weighed 10 pounds less . (mine weighs 28 pounds) I felt 18 pounds was gona be too light and harder to drive. I am very happy with my McLeod. (except the $)

You use the LT1 bellhousing, Clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. (I used all stock pieces that were used and came with my trans.)

I used a slave cylinder from a 1990 Camaro Z28 T5 which is exactly the same as the T56 except it has a bleed screw (T56 NO bleed screw)
I used the stock clutch line (steel braded) but I cut the master cylinder end off and replaced it with a Aeroquip AN-3 end which I connected to a Wilwood 3/4 master cylinder which I connected to my clutch pedal.

As far as shifter location, If you have a bench seat you may have problems.
I have bucket seats and the factory shift spot is perfect. I will post a pic.
You may need to change to a "high hump" trans hump from a 4X4 truck.
You will need a shorter driveshaft but the yoke and u-joints are the same.
Trans mount is the same but you will need to move your crossmember back.
Speedometer is a problem . I still have not come up with a cheap answer to this problem.
I just use a iphone app which has a speedometer and odometer and is free,
If you had a later motor (one piece rear mail seal) you could use the stock LT1 flywheel and save 350-500 dollars.