The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
MattPSU

Too Hot???

I'm trying to figure out if my truck is running too hot.

1972 - 350 auto, 180* thermostat - it's also about 85+ in SC today.

Took it for about a 20 minute drive tonight - the second short drive after having everything apart - and it seemed really hot when I got back. The temp gauge was about 1/3 of the way up - creeping towards straight up. When I got back the hoses were nearly too hot to touch and solid as can be. It's the original radiator, but all new hoses. I did shave my heater, and I have a hose in it's place (running from the intake into the water pump).

The first drive last week heat stained my intake. It was suggested that I add the heat riser plates (?) which I did this past week. While at it, I also switched from the 195* thermostat to a 180* (I also drilled 3 holes in it).

After today's drive, the stain is starting to show back up and it seems to be really hot to the touch. I never noticed how hot it was before I tore it all down, but I think I would have noticed it being this hot.

It also shook when I came to a stop and it stalled when I finally did stop. Not sure if this is related or not.

Is it too hot? Or is there another problem? Suggestions?

Thanks - Matt

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Too Hot???

What do you mean by "heat stained"? If it's a cast iron intake that has been painted... the middle of both sides will discolor from the heat of the exhaust riser below the carb.

It actually sounds like it's probably running okay. But, Might be time for a new radiator. Or at least a rod out or recore. The 40 year old rad just might not be up to the task.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Lee H

You need to figure out the actual temp. A good old thermometer, an IR gun, maybe a known good mechanical gauge. Find out the real temp and go from there.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
MattPSU

Here's a picture of the "heat stain" from last week. I repainted while I had it apart and you can see it coming back. Paint's supposed to be for intakes 500+ degrees. - Matt
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

That's exhaust heat doing that, and is completely normal unless you block off the croos flow of exhaust under the carb..

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

If you have the correct thermostat for the motor ie - 180, 165... the temp and guage stays nearly in the same spot when operating. I played with mine on my K20 because when I towed or ran high RPMs for a distance it would creep up. For Florida and the way I was running the truck I settled on a 180. After a few years it started creeping again and figured out I had a head gasket leaking. Replaced the gaskets and back to normal.

On the exahaust, If your truck is running on the lean side, it causes the heat to increase around the cylinders and on the crossover. I wasted a set of mufflers and tips trying to run lean to save gas. Oh yeah and burnt a valve too. Keep your eye on that.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote