The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
catch2otwo

Have to slam tailgate

Ive been digging through old threads regarding tailgate alignment issues. Alot of these threads deal with aftermarket tailgates. Not sure if mine is aftermarket or not.

When I close it, I have to slam it in order for it to latch. If I gently close it, the tailgate will pretty much get hung up well before the latch even comes close to closing. The two locating tabs hit the bed and interfere so much that unless you slam it you will not be able to close it.

In order to open, I have to really yank on it to open it. Where do I start with adjusting? I haven't put a square on the floor to see if the bedsides are falling in or not.
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Have to slam tailgate

First thing to check is if the gate is bowed and that the bedsides are each perpendicular (right angle) to the bed floor.

You are not actually describing where the locator tabs are striking but I'm guessing its inboard of the slot.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
KEL
72 GMC

when I replaced my gate with an original one. I had the same problem you have. A few wacks with a sledge on those tabs and everything works great now.
Good luck.
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
First thing to check is if the gate is bowed and that the bedsides are each perpendicular (right angle) to the bed floor.

You are not actually describing where the locator tabs are striking but I'm guessing its inboard of the slot.

Ill have to find a square somewhere. Locator tabs are both striking in board.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Yeah, first check to make sure it's not warped. I had to adjust mine before and I do recall taking the linkages off and lubricating and cleaning everything on the inside. If yours are okay and you're sure the latch is not binding there's no need to do that.

I seem to remember loosening the brackets on the bed sides. You should have a slight amount of movement there. If not, maybe enlarge the bolt holes slightly to give you some movement. If that doesn't do it, there's something else wrong.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
catch2otwo

Ill have to get a square then. Thats the only thing that makes sense, if the tops of the bedsides are caving in causing my tailgate to hit. Im sick of slamming it, its scarring my dog haha
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
ole dollor

what others said ....and a lot of real good lube and greese in the right places helps a lot also...from the handle to the latches...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
catch2otwo

ok so follow up on this.

The tops of the bedsides are bowing out not in. The drivers side bows out more then the passenger side. So is there some way to adjust this?
Old 06-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
SS Tim

As I suspected.
The easiest is to pull the sides in one at a time. Then you are pulling each to center not just toward each other. Find a strong upright object that won't move. Use a hand winch, heavy tie down ratchet strap or the like. Hook at the rear stake pocket in such a way as you won't tear metal. Might just cut a stake to fit the pocket and attach to that. Now pull across the bed parallel to the tail gate and over the opposite bedside from your fixed object. Do just a little at a time. Test for fit and spring back.
Reposition the truck and repeat for the opposite side. Now your tailgate should close nicely.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
TBONE1964
Cluster King

I could not say it any better than Tim. This will do wonders for your gate closing correctly. Make sure to use a nice piece of hard wood in the stake pocket and make sure it goes in all the way and is a nice snug fit. You may have to have someone rip you a piece on a table saw. Anything else will just bend/tear the metal around the stake pocket. Take your time.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
catch2otwo

just did this using the telephone pole, worked perfect. Once I had the gap right, I took the door off and greased the pivot socket and latches. Also lubed the handle. Thing works like new. Thanks for the help.

Side note, what causes the bedsides to "fall out" anything I can do to prevent it?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
SS Tim

Done already? Since I wrote the reply or were you doing it concurrently? Either way I'm glad we have resolved your issue.

The sides bend from use and shifting loads. Having the tail gate down all the time dosen't help. On my beater c10 both sides bowed out as did the tailgate from tossed in hay bales. Just a tweak every couple of months and we were good to go.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
ole dollor

most likley the sides of the bed were loaded wrong with the tail gate down, lots of weight laying against the side of the bed. and swaying back and forth..that would be my guess.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Done already? Since I wrote the reply or were you doing it concurrently? Either way I'm glad we have resolved your issue.

The sides bend from use and shifting loads. Having the tail gate down all the time dosen't help. On my beater c10 both sides bowed out as did the tailgate from tossed in hay bales. Just a tweak every couple of months and we were good to go.

Right before I read your response I put a ratchet strap across the bed sides to pull them in a little to see if it would help. As soon as I read yours it dawned on me to use the telephone pole.

30 mins got everything done. Im used to working on euro/jap motorcycles. The bolts on this truck are so big and in the open I almost think its too easy sometimes haha