The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
dirtybirdindian

Dome Light Wiring?

Finishing up with American Autowire Hwy15 harness... Brake lights and dome light are all that is left but dome light stays on all the time.

I have orange wire running from fuse panel to brake switch...spliced and run up to dome light. I also have the white wire from light switch up to the dome light.

Dome light will not shut off...unless I unhook the battery! Is it wired wrong or is the on/off switch at the dome light malfunctioning?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Dome Light Wiring?

The stock 53 dome light wire runs off the (dome light) connection on the headlight switch and runs up to the dome light.

You can copy that to your computer and blow up the section you need.

I'm not sure if the switch connects the hot wire to the bulb or if the switch grounds the bulb in the dome light. I'd have to go out and pull the light out of the cab I'm using for my stretch cab to figure that out. It needs to come out anyhow so that isn't a problem.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
parkwood

have you tried turning the head light switch? you can turn the dome light on by turning it.. and are you running door switch's?
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybirdindian View Post
Finishing up with American Autowire Hwy15 harness... Brake lights and dome light are all that is left but dome light stays on all the time.

I have orange wire running from fuse panel to brake switch...spliced and run up to dome light. I also have the white wire from light switch up to the dome light.

Dome light will not shut off...unless I unhook the battery! Is it wired wrong or is the on/off switch at the dome light malfunctioning?
I just hooked mine up, some were the white wire is grounded, the white wire is ground and the door switch completes the circuit to ground when the door is open. You might try a test light and see if the white wire is showing ground all the time and moving it to a terminal on the switch that only shows ground when the switch is turned on. Just because I teach I will say this, hook the test light to the positive post first, sorry I have to assume stuff.
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
dirtybirdindian

Sorry...should of mentioned I'm not using door switches. If I have power to the dome from the fuse panel shouldn't the on/off switch at the dome be what controls the light.

Turning the light switch/dash light dimmer all the way counterclockwise doesn't turn off the dome light, it doesn't do anything actually. Isn't this what the white (ground) wire from the headlight switch is suppose to do?

MR48CHEV...I can't blow up your attachment without it being really distorted (I'm probably not doing something right).

What is the correct connections at the dome light? Maybe I have them hooked up incorrectly there.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybirdindian View Post
Sorry...should of mentioned I'm not using door switches. If I have power to the dome from the fuse panel shouldn't the on/off switch at the dome be what controls the light.

Turning the light switch/dash light dimmer all the way counterclockwise doesn't turn off the dome light, it doesn't do anything actually. Isn't this what the white (ground) wire from the headlight switch is suppose to do?

MR48CHEV...I can't blow up your attachment without it being really distorted (I'm probably not doing something right).

What is the correct connections at the dome light? Maybe I have them hooked up incorrectly there.
Try this this is the harness I used. I had more than one terminal on the headlight switch that wasn't used, so check and see if you have any extra terminals and check them with a test light and see if the white one is hooked to a terminal that is grounded all the time. check page 3 it shows the headlight switch.

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/91064027.pdf
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote