The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
kennyakataz

Turn Signal blows brake light/hazard fuse

I have a 1982 C10 Stepside. So I was driving home and turned on my left turn signal. Notice the radio was blinking along with my blinker. Then a pop and smoke! It turned out to be my brake light/hazard fuse. All other lights worked fine except for the brake lights/hazards. Tail lights still come on with head lights.
I was able to recreate the symptoms but only when the truck is in drive. It will not do it while in park. Both sides of the turn signal causes the radio to flicker and the battery voltage meter to dance! HELP PLEASE
kennyakataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
kennyakataz

Re: Turn Signal blows brake light/hazard fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyakataz View Post
I have a 1982 C10 Stepside. So I was driving home and turned on my left turn signal. Notice the radio was blinking along with my blinker. Then a pop and smoke! It turned out to be my brake light/hazard fuse. All other lights worked fine except for the brake lights/hazards. Tail lights still come on with head lights.
I was able to recreate the symptoms but only when the truck is in drive. It will not do it while in park. Both sides of the turn signal causes the radio to flicker and the battery voltage meter to dance! HELP PLEASE
I have been working on this since this morning. Now I only have a problem when engaging the left turn signal! The volt meter goes crazy. If engaged long enough it blows the brake light fuse.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
76stepsidechevy

It's probably shorted to the frame somewhere under the bed. THe whole tail light harness is nothing more than 4 conductor trailer wire with no covering held to the frame with metal clips. I had the same problems as you and spent a while chasing down shorts, eventually just replaced the tail light harness with new wire in split tubing.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Daveyboy1983

I had a similar problem with my '77 it wound up being the turn signal switch wires in the column one had rubbed through got a new switch and no more issues...
Posted via Mobile Device
Daveyboy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
kennyakataz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboy1983 View Post
I had a similar problem with my '77 it wound up being the turn signal switch wires in the column one had rubbed through got a new switch and no more issues...
Posted via Mobile Device
This sounds like it could be the reason! The steering column was just replaced last month.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
kennyakataz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboy1983 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea I tried new wires without and results!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
kennyakataz

So the problem was within the turn signal switch unit! Went to rockauto and paid $12 bucks for a new one! Took me all about 1hr to change out and the local shop wanted $174. [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]