The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
roger55

Core support questions.

I have 2 questions.

First:

I just ordered a Vintage Air condenser for my '57 that I'm using on the stock core support. The instructions say to remove the 2 cross rods and discard them. I wonder if I should space them out a little and retain them. The factory obviously thought they were needed. I wonder why VA thinks there not?

Second:

Is it really necessary to use rubber mounts on the 2 lower mounting bolts? I'm using a pretty solidly welded aluminum radiator. Would it be bad to leave out the rubber and just bolt the core solid to the frame?

roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Core support questions.

I'd say space and retain. As you are thinking those rods are there for a purpose and they not only keep the front end sheet metal in line but help prevent or cut down on squeaks and cracked pieces.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Kim57

IMHO the rubber mounts will help to cut down on vibration to the radiator which is a good thing.
Kim
Old 06-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Speedbumpauto

I took them out and am glad I did. With the VA condenser mounted as close to the radiator as possible, I still had to do some minor "tuning" to get the grill to fit properly. It would have been a real bummer to have had to do it after all the powder coating. Mine is the 55-56 grill and it could sit in slightly farther than the 57, I don't know. I personally don't believe those rods do much at all once everything is bolted up but I used a clip and I think it's much more rigid than the original solid axle and frame.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
parkwood

I cut them out on a '55 and had no problem.. you need to get the condenser as close as possible to get good air flow through the radiator... that is why VA has you cut them out..
Attached Images

parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Russell Ashley

I made spacers and kept mine. It just looked like it should be there to me, but apparently it's not absolutely necessary to keep it. I plumbed mine differently than the instructions said but I like it better the way I did it. I used the hard lines to go through the support instead of routing the rubber lines under it. Rob at VA sent me some extra rubber bushings to go in the holes. It doesn't cause any clearance issues with my 57 grill.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
papastrk

I removed mine to get a better fit on the condenser against the radiator, but hated to do so. As you mentioned, they can be spaced out, but I think they will lose some of the rigidity. I would definitely not mount the core support without the rubber pads. Aluminum will fatigue and crack before steel. Later model radiators are loosely mounted in rubber. You can buy rubber encased nuts at Lowe's that would be good to mount the radiator and condenser to your original core support with.
papastrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by papastrk View Post
I removed mine to get a better fit on the condenser against the radiator, but hated to do so. As you mentioned, they can be spaced out, but I think they will lose some of the rigidity. I would definitely not mount the core support without the rubber pads. Aluminum will fatigue and crack before steel. Later model radiators are loosely mounted in rubber. You can buy rubber encased nuts at Lowe's that would be good to mount the radiator and condenser to your original core support with.
I just searched Lowes and found them. They are called well nuts. Cool idea. Thanks. I may mount support solid to the frame at the bottom and use the well nuts for the six bolts that the radiator mounts to the support with. Since my VA condenser mounts with those same 6 bolts, it would be protected as well.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
_Ogre

i kept my support rods on my 58
the 58-9 core support is different than yours
not sure how different

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
roger55

Btw guys.

It looks like Vintage Air has re-designed the 55-59 truck condenser. It now has brackets that has holes that match the 6 radiator mounting bolt holes. The radiator has to be removed and the condenser flange mounts between the radiator and the core support.
I like this design.

Here's the .pdf of the installation instructions:
http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/901558.pdf
Old 06-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
sqrlnts

FYI, I kept my crossbars in and had no fitment issues. (aside from needing to trim a little metal from the core support for the condenser hardlines. angle grinder cut off wheel made quick work of this).

Also you don't need to remove and drain the radiator, at least I didn't the second time I installed my condenser. You can remove the lower 4 bolts completely. Then remove one top bolt and replace with one that is about 1-2" longer. Do the same on the other side.
This will allow the radiator to slide back towards the engine giving you enough room to install the condenser from the top. Two people would make this task much easier but can be done with one person. Good luck with your install.
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
OrrieG

I ran my 59 with one of the cross bars broken at the upper left corner for years, including off road, with no visible damage. I found a core support with the bars intact and installed it. I always assumed is was there to triangulate and keep the core from racking, maybe just during assembly on the line?
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
TX58

Man, all this is very useful information. Im about to install VA in my 58. Any other tips/pics would be appreciated
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote