The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
philB

Question fuel gauge

have a cluster panel, '69 c10, can the fuel sender be wired direct to the cluster gauge, if so what wire goes where on the 3 studs, thanks.
philB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: fuel gauge

It can be and you will need to follow the path on the printed circuit board to see where it ends up on the connector that plugs into the printed circuit board.

It is number 3 and 4 on the bottom side of the connector.

My question is, why do you want to do this? Is your circuit board fried? I have one available is that is what you need.

I am not sure what the third stud does (the one on the bottom) there should be no wire going to it though. It may just be a way to ground the gauge to the tin or an extra mounting spot.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
philB

tried that and gauge wont work, junp wires to the two studs and gauge goes full or reverse wires and goes full empty, dont know what the 3rd oned does other than makes a good ground,
Old 06-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Not sure what you tried?? Did you try a new circuit board??? If you can jump the wires from the connector directly to the gauge studs and it works, then you are loosing connection somewhere from the gauge through the printed circuit board at the connector plug in location. Do you agree? Did you check the terminals on the connector itself? Are they clean and in position to contact the circuit board when the connector is plugged in??
Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
philB

did all that, even used plug in with jumpers, unless theres another way towire it, could be me, this wire kit has a lot to be desired, but got to make it work, tried a fuel gauge , 2", in hand and wired direct, worked ok, so if cant get it to read in panel, will use small gauge under dash, not my choice but thats better than on side of the road somewhere.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
BrutonLS1

I accidentally kicked the wire out of the fuse box to my gas gauge, now the male fuel gauge connector on the fuse box wiggles and won't give my gas gauge a signal. I'm curious about a fix/bypass as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 GMC long bed 5.7/700R4
--I'd rather push a Chevy, than drive a Ford.--
BrutonLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutonLS1 View Post
I accidentally kicked the wire out of the fuse box to my gas gauge, now the male fuel gauge connector on the fuse box wiggles and won't give my gas gauge a signal. I'm curious about a fix/bypass as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bruton,

Your fix should be as simple as clean and tighten the terminal. You can tighten it by squeezing it with pliers. If it is really bad, solder a new terminal on your existing wire and plug it in.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
luvbowties

Question Re: fuel gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Bruton,

Your fix should be as simple as clean and tighten the terminal. You can tighten it by squeezing it with pliers. If it is really bad, solder a new terminal on your existing wire and plug it in.
He said "the male fuel gauge connector on the fuse box"--not the wire-end which should be female??
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Thank you for pointing that out. I should slow down a little when I read sometimes.

So the problem is the plastic on the fuse box around the fuel sender wire is broken? Can you get a pic of it?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
luvbowties

Wink Re: fuel gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Thank you for pointing that out. I should slow down a little when I read sometimes.

So the problem is the plastic on the fuse box around the fuel sender wire is broken? Can you get a pic of it?
Pic compliments of Longhorn Man in a 2009(?) post. Note terminal is a simple, uninsulated, spade terminal that is, as I understand, flopping around & not supplying voltage from inside the fusebox. I do not know how much voltage it should offer--may be less than 12 volts?!? If 12 volts, simply run previous wire to a new 12-volt source with switch ON--if less than 12 volts, remove fusebox and re-connect original terminal to its original contact, by either staking or soldering.
Hoping this pic is worth more than my words could describe.
Sam
Attached Images

Last edited by luvbowties; 06-04-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
luvbowties

Smile Re: fuel gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutonLS1 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Please see reply#10.
To OP, sorry to have hijacked your thread.
Sam