The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
ChevyNuTT

99 Suburban. New U-Joint. Now a clunk??

Hey all new to the forum. Great source of info!! Well here is the deal. I have been wrenching on bow-ties for many years now. I recently picked up a 99 suburban 5.7 4x4 with high miles 170k. It is a one owner truck and was taken very good care of in and out. Purrs like a kitten and rides great. All leather interior kinda reminds me of an escalade inside. For sure the nicest Chevy truck inside I have every owned. Now my issue. About a week ago it started squeaking while pulling our boat and pretty steady squeak squeak squeak from a dead stop to about 25-30mph. So I knew this sound to be a bad or going bad dry u-joint somewhere. so I put her on stands and check all the joints from the transfer case back. Turns out # 3 and 4. transmission and differential were shot. To my surprise they were they OEM joints as I had to heat them to make the plastic spew out when I removed them. Not bad for 170k. Well now I have no more squeaking but I have a take off clunk. Nothing horrible but it will drive me insane, I can't find the source. I had the truck back up looked over everything. Made sure they were all packed with grease. Checked the play in the diff. checked the play in the trans. I'm at a loss for where this gremlin clunk has come from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ChevyNuTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
ChevyNuTT

Re: 99 Suburban. New U-Joint. Now a clunk??

Ok got it figured out and fixed. Turns out I got a bad u-joints from the parts store. Bought neapco from AA. I took both out and replaced with Moog from Napa along with new straps for the one on the Diff. No clunk anymore. That's what I get for being cheap!! Neapco was $16.99 per joint. Moog was $29.99 for the HD joints. and $7.99 for the new straps. Live and learn. You get what ya pay for. I knew better.
ChevyNuTT is offline   Reply With Quote