The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Ricks1971

rag joint to ujoint modification?

I am putting a tilt column in my 67 C10 and at the same time going to power steering. I have the new power steering box a 72 and I want to go the ujoints instead of the old rag joint combo. Hoping to see some pics and who makes a kit for this modification? thanks Rick
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
allons

Re: rag joint to ujoint modification?

I want to do the same mod. Anybody got some advice on this?
allons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
ecgate

Anybody? Im curious myself.
ecgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
vidman

Flaming River makes some, but there not cheap..
Old 06-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
68c10airstream

Just a suggestion along the lines of what you guys are doing. Is your original box 5 turns lock to lock? If so go to the junkyard and source from about a 77 and newer truck. Look into the glove box and read the option code. If it says "variable ratio" i feel this box is the best. It offers 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. This box is about 17/1 reduction on center through 1/4 turn right and left from center and then it is quicker past that , about 13/1 reduction. What this accomplishes is two fold; slower reaction on center for a more casual reaction driving, and then quicker reaction during further turning. Also in comparison to a very quick box 12/1 as an example with 2 1/2 turns lock to lock, the variable box at higher speeds makes it seem less twitchy. From my schooling in late 70's this variable box came out because the corvettes going at high speed with a fixed ratio supper quick box made it hard to handle as every little movement of the steering wheel = all over the road. The olny issue with the newer box's is going from the older (probably 1975 and back) box has flare fittings and the newer box's use o'rings. All you have to do at the junkyard is get the variable box, ragjoint, lines and fitting from the back of the power steering pump. It all bolts in. Remember there is outside frame mount box, inside frame box, and pitman arm held on with a pinch bolt or pitman held on with a big nut underneath. If you doubt this info, drive a late model gm truck, pay attention to the number of turns lock to lock, and then tell me this is wrong. I used a 1985 2wd box in my 68 c10 with the above mentioned changes and it works great. Personally stay away from 1996 and newer as they went to an easy steer box and it's too much assist, can turn it with a little pinky. I stayed away from the camaro 2 turn box, unless maybe autocross. Good luck, Brian F.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
Ricks1971

Thanks 68c10airstream for the reply. Today I found the ujoint fot the power steering box and the telescoping shaft. Now all I need is the spline size for the bottom of the tilt column. It looks to be 3/4 but not sure on the spline size. thanks Rick
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote