The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

It's funny that Chevy made a mega cab long before Dodge MegaCabs hit the dealerships.

I spotted this '87 in the classifieds (not mine.) Had a chance to buy one just like it for $500 in way worst shape. Still kick myself for passing on it.

1987 Chevy Mega Cab 3500
Old 06-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: It's funny that Chevy made a mega cab long before Dodge MegaCabs hit the dealersh

If you like it,that's cool,but Chevy didn't make it. Dodge Mega Cabs are stupid,IMO. A sedan that can haul a bit. I'm sure glad GM hasn't gone there.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Hazieview

Re: It's funny that Chevy made a mega cab long before Dodge MegaCabs hit the dealersh

I like pretty much anything unique... Why own something someone else has? I guess I posted wrong... I guess I should have said 'someone' made a chevy megacab way before dodge.

I wouldn't say its a 'sedan' with that towing capability...
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

GM did not make these trucks like this it was done by a custom shop who did these kinds of conversions.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
80schevyaddict

Yup. They were made by a custom shop. I find them a bit ugly, but they are still neat.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

My brother has a mega cab 4x4 with a Cummins.
Inline 6 and a straight axle.

Way nicer than my crew cab
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
f.monroe

Here it is . It was for sale on here .
Frank

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...1-21-21&cat=13
Old 06-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I don't mind the extended cabs so much....it's the shortened beds that repulse me.
Seems like all of the factories are doing it like that especially on the mini/mid sized trucks.
Even the Avalanche, Escalade EXT, Lincoln Blackwood, etc...type vehicles are lousy excuses for "trucks".
More and more, trucks are being converted into cars with bigger trunks, but the traditional 8' bed makes them long the many people cannot drive them. So they shrink the bed, until it becomes useless? So why even bother to have it? A 4' bed is just a trunk with out a lid and some of them even have that.
So it's trying to be a full-size car trying to be a pick-up truck.....and failing at both. It becomes a car with a rougher ride than it needs to have and not enough bed to be a truck.

Mullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Hazieview

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
My brother has a mega cab 4x4 with a Cummins.
Inline 6 and a straight axle.

Way nicer than my crew cab
Posted via Mobile Device
I have owned a 2008 crew cab Chevy and a 2010 tahoe. Neither one met our needs like our 2010 megacab 4x4 3500. They look a little goofy but what won't fit in the bed I just throw on the trailer. It's like an suv and truck in one accept it actually performs like a real truck.

Neither the crew cab 1500, or the Tahoe could come close to hauling my car hauler when loaded. The megacab never has a problem.

Still a Chevy man at heart of course... I like the Chevy 'mega cab' sure would be cool as a 4x4 with a diesel in it! To each his own!

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Hazieview; 06-02-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I always felt my '91 3/4t 4wd Suburban was a truck and an SUV. Pretty sad when a pickup truck can't fit as much in it as an SUV,IMO. That thing towed anything I put behind it,too. Thing is,you can even haul more people than about anything made. As far as trailers goes,I won't own a vehicle that relies on a trailer to haul what will fit in a normal truck. For me,towing is not preferred and only done when there is no other option. I don't want to be married to a trailer .
Hey,to each their own. That's just me and the way I feel from what I've learned from driving and "needing" trucks all my life. All my hind sight has given me foresight to know what works and what doesn't...for me. I don't like dually pickups,either. Been there,done that. I'm just a regular cab 3500 SRW guy. All truck and no bull.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Hazieview

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I always felt my '91 3/4t 4wd Suburban was a truck and an SUV. Pretty sad when a pickup truck can't fit as much in it as an SUV,IMO. That thing towed anything I put behind it,too. Thing is,you can even haul more people than about anything made. As far as trailers goes,I won't own a vehicle that relies on a trailer to haul what will fit in a normal truck. For me,towing is not preferred and only done when there is no other option. I don't want to be married to a trailer .
Hey,to each their own. That's just me and the way I feel from what I've learned from driving and "needing" trucks all my life. All my hind sight has given me foresight to know what works and what doesn't...for me. I don't like dually pickups,either. Been there,done that. I'm just a regular cab 3500 SRW guy. All truck and no bull.
Hmmm... My mega cab hauled more than my tahoe ever did. Inside and out. I was thinking about a 4x4 suburban until I thought about putting gasoline, oil, engines, transmissions, generators, etc. in it... I would rather keep all the fumes out of the cab and away from my family... I would rather be married to a trailer I need than to a truck or suv that bottoms out the back bumper (literally) when I hook them up to my car hauler. A truck that can't handle a trailer is just a sedan with a trunk that is missing the lid.

A camper top on a mega cab would be the prime suv/truck. Chevy or Ram! Might lose a few more 'cool' points though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
JAMESCHURCH13
JamesChurch13

So... Going down the highway at 80ish MPH and you see a short bed extended cab any truck with 3 dirtbikes worth 15grand or so hanging out the back with the tailgate open! Long beds are the way forward for sure. And maybe if you have a square 4 door dually you might have acheived the ultimate in truckdum when it has all your toys in it with the tailgate closed and your gas cans/tools secured. Woot Woot!

Current vehicle collection:
1968 Chevy C-10 SWB Fleet Side, 327ci, TH350 (MD)
1987 Chevy Dually Quad Cab, 427ci, TH400
2008 Buell XB12SS, 1203cc
2006 YZ450F Wheelie Machine!
1997 Suzuki Bandit 600cc
And the Wife has some cars I pay insurance on and use to transport the kids!(01' Grand Cherokee and 06' Pontiac Grand Prix)
JAMESCHURCH13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Not a square, but I had a '99 3/4 ton 4wd Suburban that I sold a few years back. Loved it for towing and hauling people, but hated how short the rear door opening/roof was. I remember picking up a new TV one time and was a little upset when it wouldn't fit! I also haul dirt bikes so it was trailer all the way for those. Sleeping in it wasn't fun either because of the low roof. Still miss it though. Got an ex military van with a step through to a box rear that I can stand up in. Love that thing.

Also had a '77 crew cab dually for a slide in camper and towing. Towed great but my big problem was the amount of space it took up in my shop. It just didn't fit right with the others squares because of the width. Don't miss that.

I now haul the camper and K5's with an '84 crew cab SRW 3/4 ton with helper bags and rear sway bar added. Not quite as stable as the dually but it fits in the shop better.

Regarding 4 door ultra short box trucks....got rid of one recently. Useless box...I may have hauled a Xmas tree in it once.

Pics of old dually, current crew cab, and military van. Vans aren't cool, but they sure are handy.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
kylep

I agree im dying to get that new silverado and I want the crew cab but that little bed just looks useless to me. I dont know what i would do with it. I will probably just stick to another tahoe for a family hauler.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
andrewmp6

Only thing i find odd is why was gm the last one to have a extended cab tho?Ford and Dodge both had them in the 70s gm didn't tell 88.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80schevyaddict View Post
Yup. They were made by a custom shop. I find them a bit ugly, but they are still neat.

There is one of those down the road from me. It is HUGE!

Slonaker