The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
72CampSpecial

'75 GMC HEI...can i use with my truck?

I picked up a HEI out of a '75 GMC w/350 v8 for $30 bucks (wires cap, everything)... hoping that i can use in in my '72 CampCust, Stock 350 w/ recently rebuilt Q-Jet

the more i read the more im concerend that its not a "pull the old out and drop in the HEI"...

what do i need to check/validate before i go ripping the old system out? Curve, srpins, weights, etc... are all unknown to me (in the current distributor and the HEI)

I have the HEI, the original red power source wire, the wire that went from the HEI to the side of the engine block (do i need that for mine? i done have anywhere to hook it up)

Can i drop it in, set the new plugs to .045, start it, time it and see how it runs?

thanks..
72CampSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: '75 GMC HEI...can i use with my truck?

You need to open it up & inspect it. Check the advance weights & pins for wear. Make sure the advance is not stuck. They freeze up after time & won't let the weights advance the timing. Check the vacuum advance. Often the dia. is ruptured. You may want to check the wires with an ohm meter to make sure there is not excessive resistance. About 10,000 ohms per foot is max. If that's all good you can do as you say. Put it in , start it up & set the timing. The power wire goes to power on from the ign. switch. I scrape some insulation back on the pink wire going to the ign. switch. Solder a 12 gauge wire to it & run it to the power wire at the dist. That is the only wire necessary. I don't know what the other one you are referring to is. It may be a tach. wire.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
BurnoutNova

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevy-...utor,1688.html

Can't beat these for the money, I have 3 of them.

Can't even replace the cap module and coil for this price from NAPA
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
volksworld

yes you can... but...a stock hei is basically a smog distributor...if you google lars grimsrud ,an hei ignition and timing primer he'll explain why in detail...also go to http://www.73-87.com7387garage/drivetrain/hei.htm and that will also explain what to do...I used a crane adjustable vac advance kit and a 72300 moroso hei curve kit,i think cause it came with the bushings I needed also....now,you can probably buy an aftermarket hei with a performance curve built in for similar money. there's threads here with guys telling which ones are junk...
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
GruntMoanCough

I just installed an HEI in the '68 C30 w/sbc and thanks to the folks in the electrical FAQ section, I found out to connect your power source to the unfused ignition outlet in the fuse panel with a 30 amp inline fuse included.
Also, with ramhorn manifolds, to use '76-'78 Corvette plug wires. Works slick as ......
Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
72CampSpecial

Thanks everyone.. Gonna drop this one in next wk!
Posted via Mobile Device
72CampSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote