The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Dads Burb

PCM Location For LSX Engine Install

Where are people putting the PCM on their LSX engine installs. I plan to install an aftermarket A/C and know that takes up most of the space under the dash. It is a 5.3 that is DBW, so there is also a TAC module to think about too. Wonder if there is enough room in the glove box area. Haven't picked an A/C unit yet so I don't really know how much room they take up, I'm just going by some of the pictures I have seen on this site.

Mine is a 55 (2nd) suburban. Because it's a suburban my seats slide forward for access to the 2nd row seats, so under the front seats may not be a good place.

Any pictures would be great.

Thanks.
Dads Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: PCM Location For LSX Engine Install

I have seen them mounted on the Burbs under the drivers seat in the well. Are you running a radio in the stock location? I have also seen a TBI Ecu mounted up under the dash at the center where a radio would live.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
_Ogre

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
torchlight

I'm going to be putting my electric boxes (fuel, spark, shift, yeesh!) under a flip-forward bench seat. Totally hidden but easily accessible.
Posted via Mobile Device
torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Lextech

This doesn't answer your question---But--- The PCM bracket from a 2001 to about 2007 S-truck, S-Blazer, S-Jimmy, S-Bravada makes a VERY nice retrofit bracket. It mounts completely flat and can be bolted to a firewall or floor.

Jeff
Lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Dads Burb

Torchlight, what seat are you using? I am installing the seats from a late 90's Chevy extended cab. They fold forward and then slide forward. Problem is they really don't move forward far enough for easy access to the rear seats in my suburban. Would like to get a seat that flips up and out of the way.

Lextech, going to pick-n-pull this weekend and will look for one of those mounting brackets. Good information, whether it gets mounted on the firewall or floor. Thanks.

Newfisher, haven't decided about radio yet. Want something nice and would like to install an overhead DVD player for the people in the back seat. I have contacted some of the aftermarket A/C suppliers to see how much room they really take up.

_Ogre............what can I say? When I get this figured out, I'm sending you some pictures.
Dads Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
torchlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Burb View Post
Torchlight, what seat are you using? I am installing the seats from a late 90's Chevy extended cab. They fold forward and then slide forward. Problem is they really don't move forward far enough for easy access to the rear seats in my suburban. Would like to get a seat that flips up and out of the way.
Glide Engineering makes bench seat frames that bolt up to our factory floor 'seat risers' and you can order a few options - one option being a seat that flips up for access to what's underneath. Or so I'm told - I haven't ordered yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
MIKEs50Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlight View Post
Glide Engineering makes bench seat frames that bolt up to our factory floor 'seat risers' and you can order a few options - one option being a seat that flips up for access to what's underneath. Or so I'm told - I haven't ordered yet.
Have you ordered the Glide Engineering seat? I'm thinking about ordering one for my 1950 Chevy as I'm tired of trying to find a bench with a fold down armrest in the middle and the local wrecking yards either have nothing or are A-holes who want $650 for a used seat!
Posted via Mobile Device
MIKEs50Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
1project2many

That's an underhood pcm, yes? Why not mount it under the hood??
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
torchlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEs50Chevy View Post
Have you ordered the Glide Engineering seat? I'm thinking about ordering one for my 1950 Chevy as I'm tired of trying to find a bench with a fold down armrest in the middle and the local wrecking yards either have nothing or are A-holes who want $650 for a used seat!
Posted via Mobile Device
Funny you ask that today. I just placed an order with Glide for the seat yesterday. So, I probably won't have it mounted in the cab for testing purposes for about 3 more weeks. Not as budget friendly compared to used seats, but the result should be a high quality frame that attaches to the factory mounts and gives me exactly what I'm looking for, especially with the flip-up seat to hide my electronics. It is just a frame, though, so it will also need to be fully upholstered. (I didn't buy the Glide foam seat pieces - I've heard upholsterers often prefer to make their own.)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Aaronoregon

Just got done with the same LS thing in a '46 ford truck. I put the ECU behind the glovebox door and the TAC above the DBW pedal on the firewall. Very clean!

Aaron
Aaronoregon is offline   Reply With Quote