The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
3/4ton72heavychevy

Help with grounding please...

Hey guys I need some help and need it quick. My truck has been down since last saturday and I am losing lots of work because of it. Last weekend I tried to leave the house and it wouldnt start. Wouldnt even try. Got a jump from a buddy but not easily. First we tried and no luck, but when I hooked the jumper cables straight to the starter, it fired right up no hesitation at all.

Then I am almost home and I come to a stop sign and it dies. Try to jump it several times, it wont start no matter where we put the cables. It would start to turn but not enough. So I figured, alternator. ended up taking in the battery and alt into autozone to have then tested. Batt passes with 100 percent charge. The alt passed too but would not give an amp or diode neasurement so I got a new one of them.

Brought it home, hooked it all back up, but as soon as I put the pos cable back on the batt, the wire from the batt to alt gets real hot, melting insulation and smoking. WHAT THE HECK?
Wasnt sure what was causing the issue so I started replacing cables left and right. New pos and neg for fhe batt new ground for the alternator new cable from batt to alt, and still is getting real hot and smoking. Bad ground??

If someone will give me some insight I'd be so appreciative. I have lost a lot of my landscapi g business while trying to figure this all out so I need it fixed asap.
I will post pics of what I have in a minute.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
3/4ton72heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
trac209

Re: Help with grounding please...

If your cable gets hot when installed you have a short from a hot to ground someplace.first place I would check the the starter cable and wire to solenoid.
Posted via Mobile Device
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote