The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
86shorty

Power Steering Pump Fix

Hey guys, been busy lately. But as I've had the truck a little while now, I've noticed that the power steering pump pulley has a death wobble from hell in it!! I don't like driving it above 45 mph cuz it wobbles so much at idle. How hard is it to change a power steering pump on an 86 350? Won't I have to get a new pump AND pulley?
86shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
harvey85

Re: Power Steering Pump Fix

Before you go out and buy new parts, you can rent a power steering pump pulley remover from an auto store. You will need it anyway to replace the power steering pump. If you have the clearance try and install the puller on the pulley and see if you can tighten it down. If this doesn't do the trick you will have to remove the pump. It's hard to say what's wrong without seeing it. If you replace the pump you can swap the pulley between the two pumps, using the tool. Once you get it back together you will have to put the truck up on jackstands and bleed the power steering and the brakes if you have hydroboost. I would recommend investing in a chiltons or Haynes manual. it will provide you with more detail than I.
harvey85 is offline   Reply With Quote