The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Rufton

I made a stupid mistake today

Took truck in for tire balance at Wal-Mart.
The truck has wal-mart tires.
Wal-Mart refused to do balance.
Manager said he doesn't know who will be driving it (3 on the tree) and doesn't want the liability if something breaks.

Took truck across town to goodyear shop that's been there since beginning of time (approx). Now we are at a place where people know a little about cars; so I thought. Three bays full so we were chewing fat w/ owner. I heard the distinct 305E V6 high rev sound from inside the air conditioned building; keep in mind it has factory quiet muffler. There goes the GMC around back at approx 3000rpm in high gear. Never smelled stronger clutch burn in my life. Permiated entire shop. Worker's quotes I over heard: "we having clutch for dinner", "why didn't you shift it out of 3rd"I feel so stupid for not going outside in time to instruct driver. Didn't say a word. Interesting the owner gave us complimentary balance. Perhaps a bird wispered into his ear.

The truck still smells of burnt clutch and the clutch pedal has horrible squeek (maybe heat melted grease?)

Live and not learn I guess.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
RANDY COX

Re: I made a stupid mistake today

Lordy,Lordy these new kids just don't know,Bet if were to take my 48 fleetline in they wouldn't know how to start it...
Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
rambler
MOVE OVER

I learned on a 3 speed column,,, how hard is it too drive one?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Rufton

The tech probably knew I knew; when done he said "I'll let you back it out"
Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
Pretty hard if you don't use 1st.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
TJ's Chevy

I learned on a floor shift. Much different than a column I'll say. Once you learn the column though it becomes a piece of cake. My friend has a 67 dodge that has a column shift 3 speed stick. Anyone ever tried to shift a column without the clutch?
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
jbgroby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
Back in 2000, my first truck had 3 on the tree, I had to get the mother in law to shift it in reverse for me, never saw or used one before.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Wait....you actually left the building without saying anything, after watching an employee clearly mishandle your vehicle in front of you?
The first bad is on the shop.....but the second one is on you for allowing it. I would lose my sh!t on a shop if they tried to do something like force past my reverse lockout or mess with my linelok.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Wait....you actually left the building without saying anything, after watching an employee clearly mishandle your vehicle in front of you?
The first bad is on the shop.....but the second one is on you for allowing it. I would lose my sh!t on a shop if they tried to do something like force past my reverse lockout or mess with my linelok.
Damage already done. I take full responsibility. I was not there alone and didn't see benefit of war.

Anyway, I feel a little better since I found the source of squeak. Shifter linkage was forced out of position and rubbing clutch linkage. Plus all paint still there on bell and bell cover. Smells like an old truck again. I guess the ol GMC will live.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
ChrisDollins

This is exactly why I dread the alignment.

Chris
Posted via Mobile Device
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

That sucks, & hope it turns out okay. I think I would've had to say something as well, & I'm a non-confrontational kinda guy. IMO they should've let you know there was an issue & not just brush it off so to speak.

On another note, there's still a few good ole boy shops around that know what they're doing. Even with my past daily drivers & current one (which are/were more modern), I try to avoid the chain stores. Instead, I search out the locally owned specialty, performance, or mom n' pop kinda shops.

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
That sucks, & hope it turns out okay. I think I would've had to say something as well,
It will turn out ok.

I'll have to admit, I still get upset thinking about it. Wondering what was going on inside the techs head. Utter disregard for customers equipment. He didn't expect customer to leave comfort of air conditioning to come out in the hot June sun, and he got caught red handed.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
donthekawguy

I took mine in to have the front tires turned around so the letters were on the inside. The kid couldn't figure out my shifter. It's a B@M auto but the gear indicator is missing and he didn't know he had to pull up the release. Then when he backed it out he got it into neutral but it took him a while to get it into drive. Damn kids!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I have an auto, but I don't let anyone drive my truck but me, my dad and one of my friends who is a mechanic. If I take it for an alignment, I drive it on the rack, or I go somewhere else.

Years ago i had a shop "test driving" it after a front brake job, I was working 20 miles away and it was parked in someones drive way down the street. I called the owner and asked about my truck ( while standing 3 feet from it) he told me it was on a short test drive, almost finished and would be done when i get off work. I hung up and knocked on the door, asked for my keys and drove it home. Needless to say the shop owner and I had plenty of words, I paid his bill and have never been back.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
tincan1966

I see a couple concerns here- mostly from the shop owners' side:
being a shop owner here's my take The shop owner has a responsibility to the customer, to recognize a "unique" or uncommon vehicle and ask the customer about any special operating conditions ie shiftes, clutch, no power steering etc. second, rather than just throw the keys to anyone, the shop owner needs to make sure the tech can actually drive the vehicle. Third, the shop owner should have stepped in when seeing the situation and stopped the person attempting to drive the truck.
I also feel it's the custoemr's responsibility to ask the shop owner if they have any questions or if they'd prefer you drove it in- which also presents issues with insurance, etc.

Either way- I am glad you have no permanent damage.
The shop owner got off lucky- the "free balance" you got probably cost him about $10-15(labor, wheel weights, etc) which is a helluva lot less than a clutch replacment.

Last edited by tincan1966; 06-18-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
ob1monkey

I agree with both sides of the debate, however no one I do not know personally drives my classics. to many things could go wrong. I even do the alignment test drive and voice my concerns if it needs to go back on the rack. keys never leave my hand. I have worked at tire shops before and witnessed the abuse bad employess put on customers cars. extra long test drives burn out and crap like that. I just tell them I will pull it in and most do not have a problem with that, I am sure there insurance does not want to replace what most of them have never even seen. reminds me of the time I worked at big ten tires(16 at the time) a nice 49 chevy two door pulled in and i begged to put it on the alignment rack. little to my knollege there was a blower hiding under the hood. as i tapped the pedel it jumped so hard, I almost crapped my pants trying to feather it onto the rack. mechanic laughing the whole time.
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Cape Codder

I bought my son his first car in 1998 a 65 Valiant slant 6, 3 on the tree. He said whats that. After a little instruction he figured it out and amazed all his friends. A couple weeks later he said I like the 3 speed none of my friends ask to borrow it. A year later he needed a clutch. That was the smallest lightest trans I have ever seen, just pull it out and stick it in by hand.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #18
MikeN

After I got used to it, which didn't take long, I almost preferred the column shift to a floor shift. It sucks for trying to drive fast, you can't shift fast, but for cruising and normal driving I think I prefer it. Very comfortable and easy to do.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
bmur66

It's a GMC. It can handle it.
bmur66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
gofastnut

When I had my Chevelle it needed an alignment BAD and I couldn't be there with it, only drop it off. I tood a short length of 3/8" copper tubing and smashed it almost flat in the middle. I stopped at the gas station about 3 blocks from the tire shop and replaced my fuel filter with this "burn-out preventer" then took it on a short test drive--it worked great under normal around town driving, even up to 55, but get on it and it ran out of fuel fast! Anyways, dropped it off, then came it after work to get it.
"The alignment turned out fine, but there's something wrong with the car, it won't get out of it's own way" the guy said.
I grabbed the owner and showed him what I did to keep his guys from tearing up my car.
I know 2 guys got a serious but chewing for trying to hot rod my car! Both guys apologized and everything came out fine.
Oh, I put the fuel filter back in and did a nasty burn out when I left!
I don't know how they treat other people's cars, but they even treat my wife's minivan like it's loaded with nitroglycerin!
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #21
Rufton

The shop owner saw nothing because he was inside.
My Dad told shop owner about 3 on the tree and shop owner said "no problem".
My Dad knew nothing till we were leaving and he smelled burn.