The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
cmabolt

Re: Project Reno - 72 cheyenne rebuild

After a little vacation, I was able to get the DBW gas pedal installed. I butchered the original shaft that the gas pedal was attached to, but after 2 hours of tweaking and some round stock, she's in.

Motor is almost ready to go back in. This motor had an oil cooler. I had to delete it and put in this cover with a fitting for the oil pressure gauge. If anybody is interested here is the gm part number #12551587. It's called an oil pan cover. The brass adapter is a M12x1.5 metric to 1/8 pipe female. The gasket is a separate part#

The harness is back on and motor plumbed with an quick release fittings. I also put on a new starter and 140 amp alternator. Might as well while it's out of the truck, right.

Things have really slowed down trying to plumb the fuel system. A lot of trial and error and my first time plumbing a fuel system.

I decided to plumb the system 3/8 or -6an supply and 5/16 return. I swapped the inline pump to a mallory 60 psi unit that had -6 an inlets and outlets.

Of course to finish plumbing I need the motor in. The trans is patiently awaiting. I can't put the motor in until I get my clutch setup resolved. Hopefully that will happen today.
I also hope to get the final piece for my brake plumbing today. Inline tube is sending a t junction for my rear drop line. Can't wait to be done with brakes.

Last edited by cmabolt; 06-20-2013 at 10:00 AM.
cmabolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
cmabolt

Back to work on the truck.

While waiting for some parts, I decided to get the master cylinder replaced and new stainless lines installed on the firewall side.

Finally my rear drop line junction came in. It was a bit of fiasco with inline tube, but they finally got it to me. They seem to have good product, but shipping is an issue. i hope they work it out.

Finally the motor is mated back up to the trans.

I previously mentioned clutch issues. I had to order an extended throwout bearing and swap clutches from a 12" to an 11". The original flywheel I ordered was an O'Reilly LS replacement. This is a setup I got from the forums over at Pirate4x4. It would have worked, but when bolting the pressure plate to the flywheel, the threads wouldn't even hold 35 ft pounds of torque. So now I have a nice frisbee. I replaced the made in China junk with a billet steel Ram 1550 and center force clutch. It all went together nicely, but the tolerance for hydraulic clutch is much tighter than mechanical. I did the recommended measurements from Novak conversions, but we'll see how it works.

Also got new bump stops and bump stops hardware mounted.

Before the cab goes off to body shop, "knock on wood," i needed to remove the old spray in bed liner from the cab floor. It took a little elbow grease, but heavy duty stripper made it pretty easy really.

Next stop finish fuel plumbing.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
cmabolt

time for an update. Now that the motor is in, I have turned my attention to the small motor stuff and surrounding systems. I started by modifying the power steering low pressure line thru the frame and swapping the high pressure line fitting from the old pump to the new ls pump. (it does work as explained on the forums)

I then hooked up the new ac brackets and compressor that I ordered with the vintage air system. This Kwik bracket locates the compressor high and utilizes one drive belt for all accessories. Turned out nice and was easy to install. I did have to extend the spacers to line everything up.

Next began hooking up senders for gauges.

Vacuum port for brake booster

Doug Thorley headers arrived today and after switching over to hydraulic clutch was pleasantly surprised that they fit!!! At least for now they fit.

Just a little clearancing for the clutch bracket

will definitely be moving the fuel lines

I will be continuing with the systems in and around the motor.

Last edited by cmabolt; 07-03-2013 at 07:10 AM.
cmabolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
mjensen

It's looking great! Gives me some ideas for mine

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
Crash_OK

Wow.. great progress and attention to detail..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
cmabolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Wow.. great progress and attention to detail..
Thanks Crash! I'm trying like hell to stay motivated. I still have very far to go as you know. BTW, Your truck's bodywork turned out awesome.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
DWilbur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabolt View Post
time for an update. Now that the motor is in, I have turned my attention to the small motor stuff and surrounding systems. I started by modifying the power steering low pressure line thru the frame and swapping the high pressure line fitting from the old pump to the new ls pump. (it does work as explained on the forums)

I then hooked up the new ac brackets and compressor that I ordered with the vintage air system. This Kwik bracket locates the compressor high and utilizes one drive belt for all accessories. Turned out nice and was easy to install. I did have to extend the spacers to line everything up.

Next began hooking up senders for gauges.

Vacuum port for brake booster

Doug Thorley headers arrived today and after switching over to hydraulic clutch was pleasantly surprised that they fit!!! At least for now they fit.

Just a little clearancing for the clutch bracket

will definitely be moving the fuel lines

I will be continuing with the systems in and around the motor.
What Dough Thorley headers did you use. the ones I ordered don't fit.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote