The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
TazmanB

Opinions on part pricing????

As the title says I am looking for your opinion. This is what happen to me today. I was looking for a particular new genuine GM part that I know is getting hard to find because it has been discontinued by GM. Several parts sites have the genuine part listed in there inventory for $100-$112. I have even tried to order the part on-line twice and was called within 24 hours and told they did not have the part and could not get them any more for the reason above. So I figured I would call several parts suppliers that have the part listed and see if I could find one that just happen to still be on the shelf. The last company I called today has the part listed on thier web site for $112. I ask if they could verify they had the part in stock and this is what I am told, "We have 1 left and I know it's the last one because no one else has them and GM discontinued them." I say thats great I will take it!!! Then the person on the phone tells me "It's gonna cost you $250 plus shipping". I say but you have it listed on your site for $112. Im told "yea but this one is the last one and it's $250. Is it just me or is this just wrong??

Dont get me wrong, if you want $250 for it thats fine with me but to have it listed for $112 and then when someone wants it you tell them $250 thats bad business.

69 C-10 Longbed (In Progress) Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568171
TazmanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
starfire58

Angry Re: Opinions on part pricing????

I believe that's called bait and switch. If it's not illegal it should be! Either way, that's a bulls**t way to do business! Just my .02 cents! Bob
starfire58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
TazmanB

Re: Opinions on part pricing????

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire58 View Post
I believe that's called bait and switch. If it's not illegal it should be! Either way, that's a bulls**t way to do business! Just my .02 cents! Bob
Thats what I was thinking but wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. Man I was hot!!!!

69 C-10 Longbed (In Progress) Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=568171
Old 06-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
westong

Was it a Chevy dealer or a online parts supplier?
Posted via Mobile Device
westong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Stu Pidd

I had a relatively minor price bump a bit ago, and when questioned, the retailer apologized for not updating the website. I paid the higher price.

Doubling the price is a bit different!
Stu Pidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
TazmanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by westong View Post
Was it a Chevy dealer or a online parts supplier?
Posted via Mobile Device
It was an online parts supplier and apparently a popular one.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
TazmanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pidd View Post
I had a relatively minor price bump a bit ago, and when questioned, the retailer apologized for not updating the website. I paid the higher price.

Doubling the price is a bit different!
I agree. A minor price increase I can understand and would not have a problem paying the higher price

Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Tinkermc

that is just wrong !!! I don't know who ou would call but I would tell everyone with in ear shot and if they agree with you ask them to take their business elsewhere, I would
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Spartan

If its posted that's what you should get it for. The bait and switch IS illegal in most states.
I would be as disgruntled as the proverbial postal worker and it seems people online have no need to be good with their word.
Wasnt it PT Barnum who said "there's a sucker born every minute" ? That's their business philosophy it sounds like.
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
ecgate

I would like to know who it is so I can avoid buying parts from them.
ecgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
SeTx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgate View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
SeTx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
TazmanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
If its posted that's what you should get it for. The bait and switch IS illegal in most states.
I would be as disgruntled as the proverbial postal worker and it seems people online have no need to be good with their word.
Wasnt it PT Barnum who said "there's a sucker born every minute" ? That's their business philosophy it sounds like.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am very disgruntled!!! I am looking into the legal side of it now to see what I will be able to do.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
TazmanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgate View Post
I did not say who it was in this post so I could get a genuine idea of what people thought about it. Sometimes if you mention the vendor people do not speak their true feelings because of friendships. However I will say that it is a vendor on this board. I hope that maybe he will step up and contact me to make it right without me saying who it is.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #14
Pine Bark Auto

If the part is recently discontinued and you have a decent working relationship with a Chevy dealer parts guy, call him (or her) and ask them to try to locate one in another dealer's inventory. I have been lucky on a couple of occasions doing that. I think it searches nationwide as the parts have come from some pretty obscure places. Recently got some cowl panel mounting clips for a 82 that way. Good luck! Chip.
Pine Bark Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
cdowns

does it suck yeah it sucks can u do anything about it ?? realistically nope not a darn thing . you have two choices in a case like this go without or pay the freight and get the rare part you've been lookin all over for if it is still available to you// chances are that thing is already sold to somebody who did not hesitate
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
volksworld

sure it sucks but its called capitalism and the law of supply and demand...every now and then someone gets lucky...you got lucky you found it at all...before he had a chance to change the price in the ad...now instead of 250 the next one you see will be 350 on e-bay...if it didn't work this way we'd all be buying nos parts for 1972 dealer cost
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

If I were selling it, I would sell it for what I had it listed for. But that's just me. However,I don't think it's illegal for him to charge whatever he wants, it's his. It's not bait and switch in this case because he really only has that one left. If I were you (and I'm not), I would buy that part before he asks even more or worse... Sells it to someone else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
TazmanB

Just to make it clear, like I said in my first post,the issue I have is not the fact that he wants $250 for "HIS" part. I understand the supply and demand side of the equation and I am all for that but the posted price of $112 should have been honored since that is what it was advertised for. If the advertised price would have been $250 then I would have made the decision to buy the item based on that price. For a vendor to advertise a price and then more than double the price simply because it is the last one he has left, is dishonest. If the vendor wants $250 for the part then he should have posted it for sale at $250, not for $112, only to have people call and find out the real price is double what he posted on his own website.