The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
4x4K10

Not getting fuel. HELP!!!

Ok so today i finally got my truck registered and insured and what not after getting it running right and road worthy. It's an 85 k10 with a 305. For the past couple weeks since i got it running and adjusted the carb correctly it started and idled perfectly in my driveway. It would never bog down or stall. We rebuilt the carb about two months ago. Its the original quadrajet that came on it. So today we took it for the first drive since owning it but had some problems along the way. We drove about 5 miles to the gas station to fill up, it ran pretty good, no sign of failure. After filling up we took off just driving around town when about a mile or two later the truck starts fluttering and stalls out. We cranked it and cranked it and finally got it to fire up just for it to do the same thing again a couple feet down the road. We ended up getting a family member to tow us home which luckily isn't to far. So what my question is, why does it do this? and what are the possible reasons for this? Its got a new fuel pump. While driving it just does not seem like its getting any gas and it just flutters and dies. This is one of the most annoying things ever! All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by 4x4K10; 06-21-2013 at 10:24 PM.
4x4K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: Not getting fuel. HELP!!!

Check your fuel cap. If the vent is plugged and it is pulling a vacuum in the tank, this could be your problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Big Jay

Re: Not getting fuel. HELP!!!

Replace your carburetor filter. The line from your pump that leads to the carburetor will have the engraving "Filter" with an arrow. First remove the fuel line then the bolt that holds the filter into the carburetor. Replace the filter...I bought mine for $3.19. If that doesn't work, you may need to replace the main fuel filter which is found in the rear. Remove the filter and see if you can blow through it. If not, it's time for a replacement.

Good luck!

Big Jay
Big Jay is offline   Reply With Quote