The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
izonme13

Door tag question

Just happen to be looking at it and it says.....Trim-STD and Paint-Spec. So my question is what is the paint spec mean. I assume STD is standard model but wondered if this truck got a special color from the factory? Thanks
izonme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Door tag question

SPEC is special paint. in 58 it could have been anniversary Gold. Or military like AF Blue or OD. Or other governmental agency, forest service and blm were a light green. Might have been a special order two tone not available as standard. And some large fleet buyers could get a custom color shot at the factory. Locally Morrison Knudsen had a babypoo yellow orange with all black bumpers and trim when they were in business. Local GMC dealer got rich off them. All the old phone trucks (Bell) were a special green, I have a door from one in my attic.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
izonme13

The truck is 1956. There are only a couple spots that I believe are original of paint. The firewall is a darkish green but sorta flat. Idk what it could have been used for. Wonder if there is a way to look up the trucks history. It is a 235 I6 truck with stick. Too bad that was all gone when I got it out of a farmers field.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
OrrieG

Medford is small enough that you might be able to cozy up to a dmv employee and see if they can run a title search on the VIN. Is there anything in the cab (tags, labels, etc.) that would point to it being an old phone co. truck? The one I got the door off of was a dark matte green too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
mr48chev

There was forest green which was on maybe 25 Percent of all 50's era gm trucks and the lighter Ocean green.
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...=Chevy%20Truck

If it isn't one of those two it is a custom mix for some company or govt organization.

As the others said there are/were a number of outfits that had their own color put on at the factory. Granite NW the Concrete/paving outfit has a special green on their new trucks you can't by and that ugly GSA govt green that shows up on trucks and vans that someone bought at auctions is special order on late models.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Medford is small enough that you might be able to cozy up to a dmv employee and see if they can run a title search on the VIN. Is there anything in the cab (tags, labels, etc.) that would point to it being an old phone co. truck? The one I got the door off of was a dark matte green too.
True but you might be able to research the history of the truck through the state if it doesn't hit a brick wall because of the privacy issue.
Here is what the GM Heritage center can do http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/...n_Availability

I'm not sure what info you could get would be worth 50.00 for a highly modified vehicle though. It would be nice for a numbers matching all showroom original truck but outside of just knowing the whats and whys that's a lot of bux to lay out.

On the "std trim" thing I'd say that it is just that, standard trim as apposed to Deluxe trim.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-25-2013 at 02:18 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
izonme13

It almost looks forest green. But as stated if it was, obviously would be color coded. Idk maybe ill try the dmv. The worst they can say is no?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
oldcouple

Mine says special too. Under the hood and underside of the front apron it had the code listed. I know it was an Air Force truck from Nellis AFB, as well as what came thru when the drivers door got sanded down. Look under the apron. Check the next year colors as well from the chart. My 57 was from Medford and it was a dark green.
Attached Images

Last edited by oldcouple; 06-27-2013 at 07:42 PM.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote