The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
jackson

question on ad truck

ive heard that when you run a sb chevy in an ad truck (if you use engine driven fan) that the fan sits low on the radiator. what would be wrong with building an offset fan shroud. would that work , would it still pull enough air through the radiator. ill be using short wp. I know they make the wps that sit up higher but they are pricey. thanks guys
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Dodger

Re: question on ad truck

I have a sbc with a long pump.

Even with the long pump the fan sits a bit too far away from the radiator in my opinion and to be honest I don't think it would be cooling as well as it should be in it's position. A short pump would obviously make this situation worse.

The fan does sit just low of centre.

My 50 doesn't overheat but it certainly runs a little hotter than I like.

On of the jobs on my list is to fit a shroud and that will mean scouring wrecking yards or trying to fabricate something that fits. It will need to be offset due to the fan's lower position but the research I've done suggests this will work fine.

I stand to be corrected by someone with more knowledge than I have but I'll be giving it a crack.

Here's a photo before I changed out the old busted water pump for a new one and before I tidied things up.

By the way the brand new water pump cost me $104 and from memory was about $20 cheaper than the short.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Zach B

My grandfather had a 54 with the stock chevy water pump. He never had a problem with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
OrrieG

Off center isn't a big deal, a shroud to direct the air is. When I put the SBC in my 59 I had the same issue. Trip to the wrecking yard with some dimensions found a mid 70's one that worked. I had to fab the side brackets since it was about 1" wider but no big deal.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Dodger

I to am running a stock chevy water pump and don't have a problem with it. I do believe however that with a shroud it will run cooler and better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Dodger

Looks good OrrieG. Hopefully the wrecking yards out this way provide a result like yours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
jackson

thanks guys. I have no problem fabbing up a shroud. I just make a carboard mock up an transphere that to metal. no biggie
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Katrina/10

I ended up with the same situation on my truck, so I got a salvage yard electric fan and bolted it straight to the radiator. Works very well.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
mr48chev

These have been around for a while and street rodders used them to raise the mechanical fan up so it was centered on the radiator http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Zips-S...ser,58831.html

With the oem electric fans from front wheel drive cars being so easy to get and reliable I'd wonder if the cost would be worth running a mechanical fan though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Off center isn't a big deal, a shroud to direct the air is. When I put the SBC in my 59 I had the same issue. Trip to the wrecking yard with some dimensions found a mid 70's one that worked. I had to fab the side brackets since it was about 1" wider but no big deal.
Orrie, do you remember exactly what that shroud was off of? I will soon be making a junk yard trip to find a shroud and yours looks like a good fit.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
OrrieG

Well this is embarassing, it is from a early 70's Ford Torino, Mercury Montego or Ford Mustang (I found the number associated with all three). I am sure I went to the yard with overall and fan dimenisons and it was close. The number is DOAE 1846-F. 1846 is the Ford number for the shroud, front part and -F narrow it down. But being a Ford part is sucks pretty good (couldn't resist)...
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Tims37chevy

I used the Zips pump riser and I love it! It also has built in brackets for your alternator and or a/c compressor
Tims37chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Well this is embarassing, it is from a early 70's Ford Torino, Mercury Montego or Ford Mustang (I found the number associated with all three). I am sure I went to the yard with overall and fan dimenisons and it was close. The number is DOAE 1846-F. 1846 is the Ford number for the shroud, front part and -F narrow it down. But being a Ford part is sucks pretty good (couldn't resist)...
Thanks for this info. It being a Ford part doesn't bother me if it fits my truck as well as it fits yours. I have moved my radiator back one inch so I might have to compensate for that.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote