The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
GMC72JIMMY

Lift questions

Whats the biggest lift before i have to change the drivelines? I would want to put 37s with an 8in lift, but people are telling me I have to change my drive shafts. so that led me to thinking 6in lift with 2in body lift.

I was just wondering what is needed. What is better 8in suspension lift or 6in with an added 2in on body?

Do i need to worry about stock differential with running 37s?
GMC72JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
GhostTown

Re: Lift questions

I'm pretty sure I've read that after 4 inches you need to start changing out drivelines and making steering corrections.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Pretty much heard what GhostTown said. Also, 37's can be a strain on the 1/2 axles, but should work for the street.

Body lifts aren't very attractive IMO.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
GMC72JIMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck View Post
Pretty much heard what GhostTown said. Also, 37's can be a strain on the 1/2 axles, but should work for the street.

Body lifts aren't very attractive IMO.
Yea exactly... body lifts are my last resort, i dont like the gap between the body and bumper, doesn't look good.
GMC72JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
70-K5
Account Suspended

Honestly if you lift more than 2" you should look into having your shaft re-tubed. for a new tube you should be out the door at a reputable shop for about $180/shaft.
They use your old yokes and pieces to cut down on the cost.

Anything over 35" tire you need to start looking at upgraded brakes too. Since there is more rotating mass with a bigger tire you'll be losing brake performance, which isn't awesome to start with.

Another issue over 37" tires is gears, unless you've got a wicked motor you'll likely be turning it into a dog off the line.

Last thing I'll mention is new brake lines are required with most anything 4" and over, stainless steel braided lines are recommended for longer lines to avoid pressure loss from flexy rubber lines. Remember your brake performance wasn't that great, then you added bigger and heavier tires then you add low pressure from longer lines and you're not upgrading your rig any more.

I lied, you'll also have to deal with extreme drive line angles when you go over 4". Things might line up but Murphy's Law applies with all work on older vehicles.
70-K5 is offline   Reply With Quote