The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
chevyman95

How long did you search before you found your truck?

Just curious how long some of you looked around before you found your truck. I am looking for a 64-66 c10 big back window short wheel base and haven't seen anything local that isn't rusted to pieces or very high in price. I know I am looking at a bad time of year I'm sure but oh well. Been scouring craigslist for the last 2 months and while there have been a couple they all sell within a few hours

What do you guys think of this truck? 307 with a auto trans
http://nwga.craigslist.org/cto/3911367030.html

I see a truck like that and think $2k to 2500 tops... Maybe I'm too critical
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: How long did you search before you found your truck?

A couple years for me, but didn't narrow it down for about a year and a half. Once I decided 64-66 Fleetside BBW, I started to find candidates quickly. SWB will take longer and cost you more.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

25 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
chevyman95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
A couple years for me, but didn't narrow it down for about a year and a half. Once I decided 64-66 Fleetside BBW, I started to find candidates quickly. SWB will take longer and cost you more.
Yeah that's my ideal truck as well. I wish I would have been able to buy my grandpas truck which was a seafoam green BBW short bed fleetside truck that had been well kept and never had any rust in the rockers, floors, cab corners, etc but my uncle was first in line on that one. Oh well...
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

My uncle got my grandpa's truck, also.
Long bed 4x4 Stepside.
I found out recently that he rolled it.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
4x4toy

My truck found me. I was not looking at all when I bought mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
05 GMC Sierra 2500hd Duramax
4x4toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
AcampoDave

I was at a garage sale looking for a dresser when my 66 found me. It had little rust, but ran and stopped poorly. It was a longbed then and the price was right so I drove it home that afternoon. I later made it a shortbed using a donor which was in bad shape. I simply dissasembled the whole truck and repaired and cleaned up everything when I did the transformation using the donor frame and bed. A little bodywork, some repainted wheels and caps, and some patina'd Rustolem to match the paint as best I could and here it is...
Attached Images

AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

In between a bunch of other street rods i casually looked for a 60-66 short stepside for 20 years from the 70's to the 90's. Everything I looked at was either way too expensive (in my opinion) or so rusty and beat up I had no interest. And this was 20+ years ago.

When I really got serious about wanting one, the search was on for about 6 months when the GMC popped up. It was exactly what I didn't want, a torsion bar 1960 with an 800+ pound GMC V6. But the incredible unmolested condition overuled everything else and I bought it minutes after laying eyes on it.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Hemisaurus

My truck was one my Grand father bought and my dad and his brother learned to drive in, and I inherited it at 16.

Soo, I can't say that I really looked for it cause it was mine before I knew I loved it. LoL

- '66 C10 fleet side w/ '65 327

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6156212
Hemisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
jbgroby

My story may be a bit weird, but when I lived in Chalmette, La., many of my neighbors had antiques (3 on my block alone), always saw them, made models for them etc. I would go to cruise nights and see the various cars/trucks, but never really had the itch (nor the money as well).

I was asked by an old friend to help him with his 1936 Ford Roadster (first car I went 120 in – scary – no seat belts and the top down, (not that it would have made a difference, except to the coroner, as he would have had to remove the various parts from my body had we crashed) to bring his car to Cruisin’ the Coast (he sold it for $64K.

He was driving around town and found the 1960 GMC for $500 I thought what the hell, looks cool, with the hood. I bummed $500 from the mother-in-law. And had it towed home. (had to get her to put it in reverse 3 on tree never seen before).

Been a long road since then.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
McCoyAZ

I wasn't really looking when I bought mine.

I had been looking on the local Craigslist yard sale ads and an ad caught my eye. It said "old Chevy truck" so I put that sale on the top of my list for that Saturday.

I pulled up to the place at 8 am and a little kid greeted me in the driveway and just said Hey Mr. You want to buy an old truck? and then he hauled me into the back yard........

The rest is history.

The truck had been sitting for a few years and didn't run so I called a flatbed wrecker and an hour later it was sitting in my back yard.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
ob1monkey

did not actually look for mine, a guy down the street had a yellow long bed when I was 16. and a purple lowered long bed for sale. kept my eyes open for 5 years and got a call. a truck someone had shown me a picture of(at that time it was 3600) and way out of my league. had dropped the price to 1000. I drove straight there with 900 cash, bags in a box(had to many leaks and scared buyers away) crate 350 that was nice and tight, and almost rust free. needed alot of love. found the 3600 sign then a 3000 sign and a 2500 sign behind the seat. stole it. and have been driving it ever since. 10 yrs now.
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
bama63

i saw the truck off and on for 16 years. it belonged to a co worker and he would drive it on occasion when he needed to haul something. i asked him about it selling it one day and he let me know it would never be sold as it was purchased new by his deceased father, and left to him, i told him if he ever changed his mind on selling to let me have first shot and left it at that, 2 years later i arrive at work to find the 63 swb fleet parked in front of my shop complete with a full load of mulch, the keys in the switch and a bill of sale for $800.00 in the seat made out to me.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
tincan1966

Once I decided I wanted one, it took almost 10 years to get a Suburban. Not that I couldn't find one, just couldn't find one close to me. This one was less than 30 miles away, maybe should have found one a bit better, but since not restoring, it works just fine. My other 'Burb was one 2 miles from home, the '65 LWB was right here in town, and the '64 c20 LWB was just about 10 miles away.

Got about 6 more spotted within a 20 mile radius and collecting what I can.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
LVPhotos

Mine was a partial trade for my '81 Chevy shortbed. I got it from brothers friend with a busted axle. Drove it around as third wheel. Had a big block 75 suburban as main a 79 4x4 play. Tried to sellit no one wanted it. Kept it around. The 79 caught fire, the sub was sold at 300,000 miles. Talked buddy out of '56 Willeys Jeep. Got a nice car. Sold the Jeep and so sat the 1962. Unwanted. I had the heads at a shop and trans at another. Found the 400 in trash can at Adams Driveline. Put the pieces together and had a driver. So in reality it found me and it just hung around waiting for its turn.
Posted via Mobile Device
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I got out of the Army in 89, went looking for cheap transportation that was t an import. Found a beautiful 72 swb, I fell in lust! Then the owner said the price, I walked away with my tail between my legs... Few days later in truck trader a guy had an ad for a 65 farm truck. I went and looked at it, blown head or motor, water/oil mixing, ran but barely. Bought it for $600, with a tow to my house. Spent 2 weeks rebuilding brakes and engine, cooling and have driven the truck since. The truck has gone from a real farm truck to what I have now, basically a rodsteration.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
Kingjasn

My dad bought a 65 swb step new in 64, he sold it when I was 9 (in 85). I was very mad at him, cause he taught me how to drive in it. I had a provisional farm license at that time, just to drive to the feed store or auction house, no more than 10 miles from the farm. I think I may have been the last person in the country to learn to drive a 3 on the tree, cause I haven't met anyone my age or younger that can drive one (not that there aren't any). Any way, maybe about 26 or 27 years till i got one of my own. maybe in another 25 or 26 I will have it finished!!
Kingjasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
mr57

I started my present job in 1988. About two weeks in, our director of finance at the time tells me his brother has this old delivery truck he's not using any more. I ask him to get pics so he does and it doesn't look too bad. I call him up and he says he doesn't want to sell it, but he'll keep me in mind if he ever decides to sell. Fast forward 21 years, and seven or eight phone calls over the years, and he decides to sell. We argued over the price (and $100 because i am a notorious tightwad) for another two years before I finally bit the bullet and bought it for his price. After 23+ years he did keep his word even after numerous other offers. Not too bad, really. 283 auto. Needs some wiring work, and I already have a CPP 3/4 drop kit for it. Rad is out getting recored, and I am trying to figure out what to do with the brakes. Here are pics as found and after a pressure wash, plus a photoshop that I really am trying to convince my wife is not in her best interest
Attached Images

mr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
spacedebris

My truck actually tracked me down. Sort of.

I was cruising craigslist, not looking for anything, just killing time. And I spotted an ad that said "1960 Viking". Peaked my interest and I took a look. Fell in love with it right away, but I wasnt really looking for anything, so the BBQ called and away I went. But over the next 3 days everytime I was near the computer I had it back on the screen just dreaming about it. Then it disappeared. I figured, "Oh well I guess I didnt need it anyway".

Then about 2 months later it was back again. I told myself I wasnt going to let it get away again and went down to buy it the next day. When I got there, they guy told me that he sold it two months earlier but the guy decided it was too much work and begged for his money back. He got 90% back. I figured that this truck was meant for me and it knew it. I will never let it go. LOL
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
donthekawguy

I looked for about 12 years. Well not really looking but looking waiting for the money and the timing to be right. I wanted a short bed, running driver with very little rust. A co worker had one when I lived in Boise and I always wanted it. Thats when I started looking. Now I have it and I'm going to be buried in it.