The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2003, 07:22 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs down Heating coils to lower

I know this is not the prefered way to do things, and I am not doing it...however, a friend of mine is wanting to do it and we need to know whats the bast way of going about it.
Do we heat the entire spring. or can we do 2 or 3 coils since we only want a few inches.
Once we have the desired height, do we quench them, or let them cool on there own?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:45 PM   #2
mooneyes

.......i've never done it but i dont think i would throw the water to them...my guess is they would probably break
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:08 PM   #3
cableguy0

do not throw em in water they will break in short order. they become extremely stong and hard but yet they are brittle. i do not know the correct way to heat which by the way as it seems you already know there is no correct way bad bad idea but its not your life its your buddies. to me its worth the 200 bucks or whatever its going to cost to get new springs just for the safety factor
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:12 PM   #4
jef5150
Inline 69

his front suspension is gonna become "really" bouncy, because he will be loosing his "spring rate" by heating them,he will probably end up with a front end that sits crooked,because you cant control the amount of heat in the same spot on both springs.(counting out loud wont work),if you throw cold water on the "hot" springs, you will harden them and they will become very brittle,,,,, heat the same coil on both sides to minimize sag,"DONT" use the middle coils ,it will cause the front end to drop real fast,,,,,i really dont think he is gonna end up a very happy camper after this,,,but who knows you guys might get them even ...jeff
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:15 PM   #5
gr8scott51

cut 'em

Find somebody with a plasma wrench and cut them in place. Still not the best, but better than heating them til they collapse. Then get an alignment! good luck, scott
Old 11-28-2003, 08:16 PM   #6
ozarkhippie

I've done a few of my beaters. I always throw jackstands under the frame horns and heat a 1 coil at a time until it sags to rest on the jackstand and let them air cool.
ozarkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:53 PM   #7
junkyardjohn

DON'T DO IT ANDY ..... IT'S THE SAME COST (0) TO CUT EM & YOU'LL BE MUCH MORE SATISTFIED WITH THE RESULTS. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:02 PM   #8
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

Heatem 1 2 3 coils at a time. The spring is junk afterwards anyway.......Just make sure the truck/car is level.....
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

dont do it if this guy wipes out and the insurance company finds mods like this they may refuse coverage due to the fact that its not a modification made by putting in tested parts and believe me these days they check like the other guy said its not that expensive for lowering springs and a hell of alot safer

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:36 PM   #10
tom hand
CCRider

If you do the front the truck will not even be drivable, it will bounce up and down with the slightest bump. Before they made lowered spings for these trucks, I have done the rear...just set jackstands to the correct height and heat one coil till it sat down on them and used air shocks to get rid of the bounce....worked ok but I would not do it now since you can get the springs for what the air shocks cost.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:29 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

I guess I left out the act that is is the rear of the truck he wants to drop. He already chopped a coil out of the front with the plazma cutter.
While I agree that it is not the prefered way, and there is a chance of the spring shattering...I also know of about 25 or so cars and trucks that were done like this back in highschool and none ever had any problems with breakage.
Heck, one guy even had a 69 or 70 GMC short/step, and he still loaded it up with rail road ties all the time.
Thanks for the info though.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:42 PM   #12
ozarkhippie

I suppose the rear is coil. If it is the cheap way put a set of coils out of a early chevelle or elcamino.
ozarkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:43 PM   #13
cdowns

IT"S A VERY STUPID THING TO DO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:44 PM   #14
junkyardjohn

ANDY .. TWO WORDS........ LOWERING BLOCKS........... SHOOT AS AN EXPERT ...... I'M SURE YOU KNOW THIS & WOULDN'T EVEN CONCIDER TAKING A TORCH TO SPRINGS. FOR EVERY SET I'VE SEEN COME OUT OK..... THERE IS 47 HOROR STORIES. JOHN
(P.S., ELCAMINO COILS WILL DROP IT ABOUT 3 1/2 INCHES)
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 11-28-2003 at 11:47 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:15 AM   #15
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

No two pieces of metal ever warp the same, why would he think the springs in his truck would. Have him spend the money on the kit and be done w/ it - - - he won't regret it.

Shawn
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 06:34 AM   #16
SEVEND2

I had a friend lower his El camino a few years back, by heating up springs, he heated them up mostly in the middle. It was about 1 pm, he stopped about 5pm, and drove it, looked real cool road ok.
we all went in and bar b Q'd , had some beers, etc, we all left about 9 or 10, next morning it well Cooled the rest of the way and the springs settled out and the E-Camino was sitting flat, univeral and bed was sitting on together and there was about 1 1/2" between the ground and his bumpers.

hmm We all learnt NOT to heat them up.

Cost more to fix it then it would have just to replace springs with lowered ones in the first place!!

i would say Dont do it

Progress on truck so far (follow link):
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=51051

and stage 2

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=58132

~ "Why couldn't you have just put the bunny back in the box?" ~
SEVEND2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:45 AM   #17
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

If you dont want to spend the $100 on dropped springs, You can buy a kit of compression clamps, they look like U bolts and you put them around a couple of coils and squeeze the coils together. I think Napa sells them in PSE catalog around $20. There made by the same company that make the coils lifts and drop blocks, etc etc

I have a set of new 4" springs I will sell you for $50 plus shipping. Dont ask me what the shipping is, I wouldnt know how to figure it out. I will UPS them to you and you can pay me for them when you receive them. This offer is only for members with a post count of 20000+, PM me if you intrested.
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 01:08 PM   #18
Moloko
Hoarding Rusty Objects

For how cheap some lowering kits are, just do that. You wont be happy with heating the springs or the kit to press them together, the truck will ride and drive horrible and he'll never be able to put any weight in it ever again.

Follow me on Youtube! - http://www.youtube.com/user/FuelInjectionSucks
Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 03:31 AM   #19
Longhorn Man

jamis, thanks for the offer. I'll pass the info to the owner and see what he says. He is trying to take a total turd and doll it up for a quick buck.
A marylin manson to marylin monro type deal.