The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Grizz1963

Lube her (him) up, its gonna be a long ride.

I have to admit, this post/question is partly because I just stopped for a quick caffeteria coffee (overpriced, average taste) while working. 12.10 in the UK. So lunch time.

As part of my taking ownership of the truck, I am going through systems one by one to ensure a base line I can work from.

So headlights are still not sorted but may be over the weekend when I investigate deeper into switches etc.

The other big baseline I like to create is grease points and lubrication.
So I will do a fluids and filters exchange for new in the next week or two as time comes available.

My question is this......

Is there a diagram or "map" that shows all the grease nipples etc?
I do not want to just crawl in under the truck and pump the ones in sight full of grease. On my old Transit there were a couple on the rear diff area that were "around the corner, on top" and not visible, so if you did not know about them, you would or could miss them.

I want to get my pressure cleaner into the engine compartment and under the engine to remove some of the old oil, dirt, dust n grease before refreshing it all.

The truck will be doing a 500mile/800km trip towing the teardrop mid August, so this has to be done in my book.

As always, any tips and advice as well as pitfalls and shortcuts will be appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: Lube her (him) up, its gonna be a long ride.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Lube her (him) up, its gonna be a long ride.

What all that ^^ boils down to is this; aside from those on u-joints (which may or may not have been swapped with no-lube ones in its life), everything is on the front end.

Jack it up as high as you can so you have room to fit well under it and still have room to move your elbows freely (not easy while low). Take the wheels off, start from left to right, and scan up and down. Most of the lube points are fairly logical to find; look at the intersections of any moving component.

Most of the time I just give it a couple of pumps until I start to see a little start to come out the other side, the only exception being the ball joints where I don't want to force past the boot or pop the joint open.

Oh, and on a humorous note;
Make sure what you are trying to pump grease into is ACTUALLY a grease fitting/zerg. I pumped a good 4 squirts of white lithium grease onto a useless little nub on the frame, and then my dad thought the top bleeder on my Wilwood's was a zerg and asked why it wouldn't take grease? lfmao

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote