The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Horn relay and alt regulator experts needed.

The goal of this post is to KISS (Keep It Simple Sh**head). lol

I have a no frills truck as many of you know. It is delete EVERYTHING. I have two issues to resolve and I want to use factory wiring if possible. First is that I am going to run the one wire alt from my Camaro on my truck. Loved the way it worked. It's not the jumper wire gig but rather an internal reg that doesn't require a certain RPM to start charging. The first pic is a 4 flat plug that I believe went to the alt reg on the core support. The red wire is constant hot and the brown is a keyed hot. The blue and white wire are the same color as the wires on the alt reg plug. Since the one red wire to the alt is hot when the key is off, does this mean I already have the direct link from the alt to the battery and I don't need anything changed on this plug? It seems like it would.

Next is the pic of what look like a relay. Is that the horn relay? I found the green wire to the horn in the engine bay and assumed since this wire is green and same gauge, it must be the horn. If so....what amp is the relay? What I am trying to do is get my electric fuel pump hooked up and could easily use this setup if it is the horn relay and around 15 amps. Would be really clean this way. I am not into extra wires if I can help it and the gauge is more than enough for the pump. Thanks for any help!
Attached Images

prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Horn relay and alt regulator experts needed.

Well I believe I got the second question figured out. That is the horn relay and it's rated too high for my fuel pump. Cool thing is I can take my 15 amp relay and splice it right into the mix. This way I can use the existing wiring and route the black trip wire to my dash toggle switch. ;o) Just drop down the fuse rating and away I go.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
KEL
72 GMC

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379

is this the post you are looking for ?
I didn't "cut and splice" any of the wires.
I just jumped them
I am running an s10 alt this way and it works great
good luck
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
71sixgun

That wire appears to be a 12awg wire, which is fusible for 20 amps.

14 awg =15 amps
12 " = 20 "
10 " = 30 "
71sixgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=119379

is this the post you are looking for ?
I didn't "cut and splice" any of the wires.
I just jumped them
I am running an s10 alt this way and it works great
good luck
Well not really. I actually have the regulator conversion kit in mine so I don't need the extra wires and "jumper". I think I'll just wait until it's together again and running. Then I'll just check the voltage going to the batter to make sure it's charging correctly. Thanks for the post.

My horn relay question was solved. I was able to use the wires but not the relay. It was bad.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

with the one wire alternator you won't need any of the wires from the regulator plug.
the brown wire to the regulator plug is the exciter wire for the internal regulator alternator, and the red wire from the alternator that you mention is the field charging wire for the internal regulated alternator.

The one-wire alternator already has those in the internal regulator inside it. all you need to do is run the large wire off the one-wire alternator to the battery positive terminal or to the starter solenoid where the battery cable connects.

If you have the 7 gauge dash and you want the battery gauge to work you'll have to run the large wire to the four way junction in the harness where the original alternator wire was connected. If you want to use a regular three wire alternator then the brown wire and the red wire from your external regulator plug will have to be run to the three wire alternator.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
kwmech

I've always cut the harness apart and completely removed the blue and white wires. Red goes the same place as always with another red jumping from the bat on the alt to the regulator. I take the brown wire and connect it to the regulator connector next to the red. Looks OE. This is with the first generation internal regulated alt. I take 'em to the local builder and have them pumped to 85a
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
with the one wire alternator you won't need any of the wires from the regulator plug.
the brown wire to the regulator plug is the exciter wire for the internal regulator alternator, and the red wire from the alternator that you mention is the field charging wire for the internal regulated alternator.

The one-wire alternator already has those in the internal regulator inside it. all you need to do is run the large wire off the one-wire alternator to the battery positive terminal or to the starter solenoid where the battery cable connects.
Boom! That is what I'm looking for. Don't want to get too far from the house and find out my battery just went dead. I will be removing the white and blue wire for a cleaner look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I take the brown wire and connect it to the regulator connector next to the red. Looks OE.
Believe me....there is nothing OE about my truck. lol Thanks for the info though! Like you, I like a clean look and as few wires as possible.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
Believe me....there is nothing OE about my truck. lol
Not the paint? I apologize,but I'm only capable of the K.I.S. part*

*Actually,I only posted to say I learned something from the question you asked that you answered.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

LOL.....yeah I guess the paint is original. So is the black primer that shows through everywhere!