The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Yewhi

need help with bedwood.

Here is my problem. I am trying to replace the bedwood in my 55 series 1. I ordered a drilled kit of oak bedwood. The box that arrived is clearly marked as a kit for a 54-55. However, the drilled pieces of the kit are very different than what is currently on the bed. I suspect that the kit was not labeled correctly but I need help to confirm that (either that or my bed is screwy).

Here are the questionable pieces that the kit contained. There are no holes drilled in the pieces that should mount to the angle irons and there are 4 holes drilled inline on two of the wider sections.

Here is the configuration on the bed currently. There is a single hole on the forward part of second board and the remaining holes are drilled into the board mounting to the angle iron.

Thanks in advance. The company's tech department isn't open until Monday and I'd like to be able to explain the situation as clearly as possible when the time comes.

Tim
Yewhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: need help with bedwood.

All I have is TF reference stuff and could not find a bolt layout on line. But regardless of what you have the boards with the recessed holes go directly over the frame thru the cross sills. GMC Pauls has a board layout chart. Since the holes are obviously offset in the board to one side, using the layout for width and knowing the bed is centered over the frame, you should be able to get the location close to see if what you ordered is right. I am surprised that you did not get a layout diagram with the kit.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Yewhi

Re: need help with bedwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
All I have is TF reference stuff and could not find a bolt layout on line. But regardless of what you have the boards with the recessed holes go directly over the frame thru the cross sills. GMC Pauls has a board layout chart. Since the holes are obviously offset in the board to one side, using the layout for width and knowing the bed is centered over the frame, you should be able to get the location close to see if what you ordered is right. I am surprised that you did not get a layout diagram with the kit.
Thanks!

The bed is centered and the current holes line up and are currently bolted to the frame. It all looks right. I also searched online for images/layouts without clear success and all the kit came with were written directions (no images or diagrams). There is no way the kit would tie into the frame as all the holes would be offset inward far too much.

I suspect that the kit is for a TF bed but I'm not certain.

Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yewhi is offline   Reply With Quote