The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
88Ironduke

Mono-jet: Carter vs Rochester?

So I clean out the bed my fathers old 72' Fleet side and there are no less than 5 Carter single barrel carbs and zero Rochester's hiding in old boxes. Yes I am certain they all fit otherwise he wouldn't have collected them. Question is as follows... If one is not terribly concerned about "pure stock" would there be any benefit to be had a Carter mono-jet over a Rochester? I don't have a wealth of information to fall back on due to zero experience on the subject. If these buggers are worth anything where would one advertise? If I could score a few bucks to roll back into my restoration the added $$$$ would be awesome!

Opinions and thoughts welcomed.
88Ironduke
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Mono-jet: Carter vs Rochester?

Mono-jet is a trade name for Rochester. Carter YF carbs were used as a replacement mostly on the earlier 6 cyls that used the Roch. model B. Lots of guys like the YF but I prefer the Roch. Mono-Jet. The carter has pretty good value in the used carb. Market.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
71sixgun

My dad has a Carter YF on an old jeep that runs flawless, even being 50 years old. From what I've seen of them, they run nice. I'm running a rochester monojet, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying a YF.
71sixgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
88Ironduke

Learned something new. I have a couple of the Carters with electric choke and that looks like a nice option for the old truck. The Rochester and Carters I have needs to be rebuilt and I have the motors books covering both types. Might be a project.

Thanks for the info.
88Ironduke
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote