The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Rust bubbles,

Just about feel like crying (haven't ruled it out) My truck has been painted for about 3 years, (keep in mind that it has been kept sheltered from weather too) after less than a year, I noticed a few bubbles over the drivers side tail light. I called the body shop, they basically said, sorry, we cant guarantee the paint job because we cant see rust between the inner and outer body panels. It could have been forming there all along. Fine, suck it up. Well I took my burb out today and noticed that most of the passenger rear quarter panel between the marker light and the wheel well has hundreds of tiny bubbles coming up under the paint. This coupled with all the other short cuts and major screw-ups by the body shop that I had tried my hardest to just "suck up". My heart has sunk. I have rust now, where I have never had rust in the whole time I owned my truck, (13 years)

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Rust bubbles,

I'll be optimistic, maybe it's not rust. Could be a reaction of the top coat to undercoat or material used in the repair process. Only one way to find out.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
JointTech

since you are a girl you can go ahead and cry. but not for long. theres no crying in trucks!!!

sucks but I guess old stuff rusts.

I always wondered about these high dollar restos. You can put all the paint and primer you want on a body panel but you cant get inside the panels.

Ive seen these long tube things they use to try to spray the inside of doors and other areas you cant really see but how good could that work?

I guess the only way to stop it completely is a complete frame off with new panels.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I'll be optimistic, maybe it's not rust. Could be a reaction of the top coat to undercoat or material used in the repair process. Only one way to find out.
If there are hundreds of bubbles like you say, i would tend to believe this. ^^ In which case they should fix it, but after 3 years... Tough call. I feel for ya.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Rust bubbles,

this is why I do my own paint and bodywork , stripped and painted my 67 Camaro in 02 took two GM left front fenders cut them in half and put them on my car in 02 painted it and not a bubble since so far , stripped my 67 c10 and painted it in 07 did have a couple bubbles in the paint this year around my back window but that's it , I don't trust body shops at all , on a good note if it looks like you describe its probly not rust ,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
If there are hundreds of bubbles like you say, i would tend to believe this. ^^ In which case they should fix it, but after 3 years... Tough call. I feel for ya.
I agree probably not rust but the paints popping

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
calvin78612

Maybe solvent pop ?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Thanks yall, I had my cry....yeah, I did.... now, if its not rust, what's the worst thing that will happen with these bubbles? It just makes me sick. I wish I could do stuff like that myself.

junk

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Lee H

I'd take it to the painter and have him evaluate it. Get an estimate for a reshoot and blend. Get a second opinion and estimate. If it is some chemical reaction I would not be in a hurry to get it fixed. Let what ever it is run it's course. The body shop of your choice will be able to guide you to your best course of action.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
Evaded

Your a girl its ok to cry... Hell I cry sometimes for stupid sh*t. Keep your head up, hope for the best. Everything can get fixed...

Eric (Evaded)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
treveiger

You should see our truck. It has huge bubbles under the paint on the roof. I'm told its rust but idk for sure. Ill drive it till it has to be fixed and do it then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Heck Jodie,when I saw the title with your name it made "me" cry . I hope it's just a reaction under the finish. You should take a picture and show it. I'm not saying it's rust and I sure hope it's not. But,this is why I don't consider a vehicle that has rust repaired as rust free. It's rust-repaired. You never know when it could come back,especially at the seam where new metal meets old where that seam could never be sealed. Rust free means it has never had any rust. When yours went into the shop it was still rust free,though.

One thing I've found,you take a truck from the dry West that is rust free back East to where there's moisture in the air and it doesn't take long to see rust. There's rust even in the Southwest,but it's very inactive,slow growing,non-aggressive. There is light rust on the bare metal behind all panels after 40 years. You bring that back East and next thing you know holes start showing in the rockers,even if you never drive in winter.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
CC69Rat

^^ .. yeah, post up a picture and we'll see what's up. Doesn't sound like rust to me either. It could be the truck wasn't sealed with Epoxy (or similar) under the primer which allowed moisture to penetrate and the paint is literally rusting from the inside out. Was it stripped to bare metal when you had it re-painted?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
dubie

a few pictures of these "bubbles" would help us to give a better diagnosis of what you're dealing with here junk. If there are this many bubble, I doubt that it's rust at all. Rust will usually occur as 1 or 2 bigger bulges in your paint. This sounds a lot like solvent pop to me but 3 years after the fact also seems unlikely. Unless the clear was sprayed to soon after the base color was laid down and the truck, a couple years later, sat in direct sunlight for hours on end. That could cause some solvent pop and de-lamination of the clear coat.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Thanks for your replies yall. K, I had horrible rust before I moved from Cali, I just waited til it was near falling apart before I could afford to paint it. Yes it was taken down to bare metal, and all my rusty pieces were cut out and replaced. It has never sat in the direct sunlight for any period of time, and the bubbles "look" like they are under the color not just the clear coat. I will never take my truck back to the people who painted it. I tried to take some pics, but cant get the area to show anything but reflection. Regardless of what it actually is, at some point I will have to have it repainted.

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I hate this for you after all you been though. Just remember paint won't get ya home Just drive the wheels off it and enjoy it since that stupid starter prob. is fixed.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

lol, thanks Hubs, I know that, and it has been running pretty good, its just so gosh darn frustrating.

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
Tinkermc

Sorry to hear of your troubles,
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Everyone hates to redo anything,especially paint & body work. I bet it still looks great when you stand back. So,it's not so great for shows,but mostly you spent hard earned cash and expected it to last way longer than this. It would sure gnaw at me. I never see Suburbans that have never rusted in the bottom/lower side. I see them in CA just like anywhere else with rust. The local funeral home has the '68 Panel they bought new as the first vehicle. It's always been stored inside and kept sparkling clean. But,it has bubbles in the rear lower quarter. I'm sure it was run in the winter back before it's retirement...people die year 'round. It looks great and I'd love to buy it. If I fixed the rust I'd do everything imaginable to prevent it's come-back. Other than avoiding rain like the plague and storing inside,I think I'd cut the inner wall to treat and seal the backside of the body,then repair the inner wall...or fab up an access panel. I also believe in putting drain holes where the General didn't and bigger ones where he did.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote