The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
J kippin

internal regulator

So I am installing a new alternator in my truck. I have searched the threads on this and I am unsure if I need to add a resister or not. I have a stock gauge package in my truck.
I have already cut back and removed the old wires and regulator from the old harness.
The Blue wire is hooked to the brown going to the alternator.
The Red wire that went to the external regulator was left, I just put a splice connector on the end for possible future use.
The Black is sill going to chassis ground.

So at the new alternator,
Blue going to the alternator to the #1 terminal
Red jumper coming from out put side to #2 terminal
Original Red on the output.

So back to my original question...Do I need a resistor installed to make this work correctly?
a
J kippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
RichardJ

Re: internal regulator

Green wire, black wire, red wire, I don't know? What resistor do you think you need and where do you want to put it?

If you are switching from Alt plus Reg to Alt with Internal Reg, none of the circuits are being altered.
The two wires that connect the "R" and "F" on the old Alt to the "F" and "2" on the old Reg, are now internal in the new Alt as well as the Reg.
Nothing else changes.
The voltage Sensing wire that used to go to the "3" on the old Reg still goes to the Reg on the new Alt. That post is now called "2" and sticks out through the new Alt case from the new Reg, located inside. The bypass that you installed to the Batt terminal does work, but I'd go with the way Delco designed it.
The Exciter wire from the Ign switch that used to connect to "4" on the old Reg, now connects to the "1" on the new Alt.
You are is still connecting to the Reg, just like before with Ex Reg. The #1 and #2 are still regulator connections for Exciter and Sensing connections just like on the old Ex Reg.

If you are asking about the resistor in the exciter circuit of the old Ex Reg, 10DN Alt, the In Reg 10SI and 12SI use the same resistor.

Last edited by RichardJ; 07-19-2013 at 01:06 PM.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote