The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Steve Cole

Is this fitting really necessary???

I'm guessing it is there to make removing/installing the instrument cluster easier? Is anyone running a solid line with no breakes in it? It's not very long, seems like it would be just as easy to disconnect it at the motor.

Name:  oil pressure line 2.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  46.9 KB

What is the real reason for this connector?
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
slow-1

Re: Is this fitting really necessary???

Comes in handy when pulling the motor...but you can just unhook it from the block too.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
cdowns

i always have just removed the oil line from the back of the gauge when removing my clusters
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i always have just removed the oil line from the back of the gauge when removing my clusters
I agree, it's just easier not having to fish through the firewall

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
ls1nova71

It's most likely there for assembly line purposes, one line coming off the engine and one line coming out of the cab, after the cab is put on, just connected the two.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
WIDESIDE72

I am running a one piece line now that i got from Brothers. The body shop misplaced the original two piece one when they painted the truck (dont ask).
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

OK i have to say this cus you left the door open.Lets say you live on a 1 archer lot and your water main is about 2000 feet away with the main shut off valve would you install a shut off valve closer to the house!!!

I owed over 20 of these trucks most of them are from 1960--66 and trust me you want as many places in wire harness or copper lines to have brakes in them

Had a 1964 short bed some one took out the copper line and ran a steel 1 line to the gauge well I burn that truck to the ground.

I bought it for 700.00 and i drove it for 2 months one of the engine motor mounts was broken on the driver side I guess the PO did not like the copper line with the connector in the middle so he replaced it with a solid one that was so ridged any moment of the cab or the engine well when it broke it sprayed all of the engine bay and lite.

You ever put out a Oil fire there not fun wish i have a shelve.

I think i had enough time to open the hood and get at least 3 to 4 thows of dirt before i would of lost the hole truck.

I glad your asking questions I'm not fond of newbies working on these truck or any thing that deals with oil and gas.But do your home work

GM really made it easy on us working man to maintain there old car's and trucks with short cuts like that copper line
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
It's most likely there for assembly line purposes, one line coming off the engine and one line coming out of the cab, after the cab is put on, just connected the two.
This guy has it right. GM could build the entire cab assembly by using that union. Then when it came time to assemble the engine compartment, that union was there to receive the oil line from whatever engine the truck was spec'd with. Small block, big block, or six cylinder.

Otherwise they'd have had to keep several different oil lines on hand depending on which engine the truck received and snake it in afterward.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
This guy has it right. GM could build the entire cab assembly by using that union. Then when it came time to assemble the engine compartment, that union was there to receive the oil line from whatever engine the truck was spec'd with. Small block, big block, or six cylinder.

Otherwise they'd have had to keep several different oil lines on hand depending on which engine the truck received and snake it in afterward.
X2
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
OK i have to say this cus you left the door open.Lets say you live on a 1 archer lot and your water main is about 2000 feet away with the main shut off valve would you install a shut off valve closer to the house!!!

I owed over 20 of these trucks most of them are from 1960--66 and trust me you want as many places in wire harness or copper lines to have brakes in them...
I don't follow you. IIRC, the stock two piece line on my 72 was steel, because I remember cleaning and painting it. I replaced it with a one piece copper line. I ran it through the stock rubber bushings at the firewalland made a couple of coils at the motor to allow for movement and made sure it wouldn't come into contact with anything. Seems to me that the best thing to tell newbies is that the best tool to have in your truck is a fire extinguisher. (I have one in all of mine) and know how to use it. Most people don't know that partand just assume. I saw this on "Ass Monkey Garage" the other night.
Posted via Mobile Device