The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2003, 05:02 PM   #1
sledge_hammer

washington 72 burb beware

I just traveled to Wenatchee Washington yesterday to pay for a 72 burb i bought on e-bay. I meet the guy in the parking lot of W mart. The guys ads states original, rust only on pass rear quarter, straight, only needs paint to be great.

I find, rusted rear gate, both kicks and adjoing floor, inner rockers all around, driver fender is not original and used, bondo down the driver side and the list goes on. The guys is pissed that I don't hand him the money, I show him the cash on the seat of my truck, and his ad from e-bay. Thing don't jive. I am still interested, but the price is not going to stay the same. His wife jumps in the picture and states that no one looks at a vehicle this closely and every vehicle has rust.

beware of a 72 burb, sold by K Palmer, Arlington Washington.

7 hours of driving for squat.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
cheyenne10

dirve back

Your saying you would drive back and deal with this guy? Did you get a smoking deal on ebay or ?
I'm sure for a price in might be good but if this guy is upset with you beware of trouble to follow.

Sounds like you did the right thing. Is this guy connected to these boards?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
Baradium
Binder Rep

Sorry you had to do that. Most people just cut thier losses and take it anyway, glad you stood up for what you expected though. Remind him that renegotiating is the only way he can avoid negative feedback, you might also want to talk to Ebay's fraud department. Stinks when people do that... even if he didn't look at it close enough, he didn't know enough to describe it as he did.

Last edited by Baradium; 12-01-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:00 PM   #4
cableguy0

i woulda been leary of him wanting to meet in a wal mart parking lot seems like he knew he misrepresented and didnt want you to know where he lived for obvious reasons. i wouldnt give him a second chance. did u get pictures or did u buy it sight unseen. im not meaning to bash you but thats a real long drive to get something without detailed pictures
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:33 PM   #5
sledge_hammer

buyer

Hey guys,

The price on e-bay ended at $5,000 US. He drove the truck over from Arlington to Wenatchee, a couple of hour drive. I was thinking with that, the truck runs. When I talked to the guy on the phone, he stated he had been under the truck, describing the cab supports, rockers, inner fenders etc. So I assumed that he was telling the truth. As far as pictures go, he had an excuse on that one. The truck was fairly solid, but not as he painted the picture. He offered to lower the price $500. I don't like getting lied to. He stated original and straight. That means no bondo, and all basic original parts are there. I am sure to some people, that they would have purchased the truck any way. I take you for your first word, and if you don't show true colors, I don't go back, as I would assume you would with me. I don't know if this guys is hooked up in any of these forums, but if he is, I hope that all dealing with him are aware. My wife says I take my actions too far, but the way i look at it is, if i did not look at the truck closely then, i would have regretted it later. True everything can be fixed, but be sincere. I have sold Real Estate and auto's for 12 years, and never do I intentionaly misrepresent. I sleep well at night. Anyway, if any one wants this guys number to deal with him, PM me and i will forward it to you.

rod
Old 12-01-2003, 07:41 PM   #6
cableguy0

i totally agree with what you did theres nothing wrong with not buying it. it wasnt what you wanted and if something says straight and original it means just that not that with 3 gallons of bondo its pretty straight now that isnt right he should have been honest with you i just hope you didnt lose any money in the deal its terrible that you drove that far for nothing but live and learn
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:03 PM   #7
StingRay

That sucks but lazygaurd has a sweet lookin burb on the parts board right now. I think he is out your way too.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:06 PM   #8
LeRoy
Registered truck nut

I would have passed to. Some honest people just don't have a clue on how to evaluate these trucks. I don't believe in a rust free truck. Give me long enough and I'll find the rust. They all have it unless it's been a total restore. I saw that burb on e-bay and was shocked it went for so much. My only suggestion would be to ask for help from board members. That burb is in OLD IRON's hometown and I know for a fact he or I would have went to check it out for you. We've done it in the past and had to tell the other interested party to pass on the deal. When this type of thing happened to me. I just offered to cover the e-bay fees to try and smooth things over
Old 12-01-2003, 08:31 PM   #9
junkyardjohn

All these trucks look a little better on the internet than they do in real life. In the last year i've bought 3 trucks & passed on 1 on the net.
(quote) Give me long enough and I'll find the rust. They all have it unless it's been a total restore.(quote) WOW LEROY thats a pretty pessamistic statement. Just because you've never owned one, or even seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist. i just bought one from southern california, & it doesn't have a speck of rust anywhere. Maybe theres none around you, and you certainly not going to pick em up for $500 but believe me they exist. It would be pretty hard to convince someone who's never seen a giraff, that they exist also.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 PM   #10
krue
Designated A-hole!

It would be pretty hard to convince someone who's never seen a giraff, that they exist also.
That's a good one!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:30 PM   #11
sledge_hammer

thanks guys,

I have vented now........and you all know how I feel. Earlier this year I bought my 72 s/b s/s just south of the border, and the truck has very minimal rust, and even at that, the seller, who had it parked by the highway, climbed under the truck with me, and showed me all he knew. The only thing missed was a couple of broken rear springs.

Oh well, on to the next project where ever that may be.

thanks again.

rod
Old 12-01-2003, 10:39 PM   #12
Hooter
My other Love

not to brag or anything, but My 69 has resided all of its life in Canada, and it's 99% solid, my only problem is the inner fender under the battery tray has a pinhole through, it just shows you that rust free trucks can be anywhere but buyer beware.

I bought my Monte thinking it was pretty much rust free, till I dug deeper and found the floor and body mount on the driver's side i completely shot, and an area in the trunk where water got into the seam and did some good damage.

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:36 AM   #13
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

Just to support Leroy a little bit. I have seen a giraffe but I have never seen one of these trucks rust free that hasn't been redone. I ived in the southwest for awhile and while they were better they weren't rust free. Maybe it is just a difference in what people define and believe as rust free.

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:47 AM   #14
junkyardjohn

(QUOTE)Just because you've never owned one, or even seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist.(QUOTE)

MAN THERES A TON OF STUFF THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN... BUT

& MY DEFINITION OF RUSTFREE IS NO RUST. NOT A LITTLE, OR SURFACE RUST ONLY, OR NO RUST HOLES BUT NO RUST OF ANY KIND ANYWHERE. ZIP, ZERO, NADA, NONE. AM I NOT BEING CLEAR HERE???? GRANTED THERES PROBABLY 10,000 RUSTY ONES FOR EVERY RUSTFREE TRUCK IN EXISTANCE, BUT THERES MORE OUT HERE IN THE DESERT THAN JUST JACKRABBITS, SAGEBRUSH,RATTLESNAKES, TARRATULAS & SCORPIONS. I KNOW ... I KNOW... YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER SEEN ONE BUT SCORPIONS & TARRANTULAS DO EXIST.... HONEST. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 12-02-2003 at 02:11 AM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:09 AM   #15
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

junkyardjohn, I know that if you said that you have seen them then they are out there. I just wish that I could find them!

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote