The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Body Mount Kit

Hey guys, any one know who sells the most complete body mount kit available. I would like new bolts, washers, etc. Mine are too rusted to save. Thanks guys.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Body Mount Kit

All the board vendors carry the kit. The last one I got from Brothers, good product. None of the kits include the thick washers, I had to reuse mine.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
JointTech

the kit I just got from Wes had the thick washers. Whats weird is the one thing it didnt come with was the small washer inside the cab on the front cab mount bolts. I thought that was a weird thing to be missing but since mine were fine I didnt worry about it.
Oh it also didnt come with new square washers that go between the cab and the first peice of rubber on the front mounts. Im not talking about the 1" square ones for the rad support. this has those. Im talking a 2.5" or 3" square spacer washer.
again mine were a little rusty but not dead.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

I ordered the kit from Wes at Classic Heartbeat. I had a long talk with the guy also and it was a very helpful talk.

And he was right, my front cab bolts are tach welded from the factory at the bolt head. So....removal isn't going to be easy! I'll have to try my hand at using my dremel tool and see what happens or pay a shop at least $300.00 to do all 6.

NOTHING is as easy as it seems!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
JointTech

i dont know if mine were welded or not. Took the impact gun, torch, and a couple breaker bars to get the nut off though. I got it spinning in its hole pretty easy so mine must not have been welded, or possibly they mounts had been replaced previously.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Some guys have all the luck! Wes from Classic Heartbeat told me that some were tac welded and some not.....I guess I'm just unlucky there.

You know, the guy who tac welded mine is most likely long gone and under the ground as was the guy who told him to do it. What we decide to do today might impact someone else on down the road....
Old 08-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Mine are not welded at the bolt head although some Ive had in the past were. I will look into the kit from Wes. Thanks guys.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
mmsidaho

The two front cab bolts on my cab were tack welded down before I tore it all apart. I've been working on rust repair and been pondering whether to tack the new ones down when I get to putting it all back together.

The advantage I see of tack welding them in is that you can loosen the nut from the bottom to shim as needed once sound deadener and carpet are installed in the cab. Am I thinking about this wrong?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
JointTech

ok since this thread is still alive... I went out today and was going to do the rad core support. It looks to me like the radiator has to come out to get that bolt out to swap the rubber? true or is there some magic to moving the rad enough to get it out?

I say good idea on welding it. Im going to do that. In fact i should have welded it so I didnt need 2 breaker bars to get the nut off to begin with.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
In The Ten Ring

Don't weld it. If you fear it coming loss, use a lock washer. Blue or red loctite even but don't weld. You might sell it in 30 years to a guy like me and then I'll be upset when I have to cut the bolt head off and then extract the bolt.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #11
MikeyMan

The tack welds didn't hold when I had to break loose the crusty nuts from underneath. I soaked the nuts & bolts for several days with Kroil too. Maybe I should've tried heating them first. When I cranked up the electric impact, just spun the whole nut & bolt.

What sucked was now I had to peel back my floor covering to get to the bolt heads.
8 rusty screws in the two sill plates. My original factory rubber floor mat, and the insulating/sound deadening material underneath had to be folded over to expose the bolt heads with the broken tack weld. Socket & breaker bar on top, impact gun on the bottom, unscrewed right off. I do not weld, so my bolts are not tacked down.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote