The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
AHowe88

Another newbie with a 72 and some questions

Well I just got my first Blazer, a 1972, which makes it 16 years older than me. I have been looking for a few months now, ever since my Wrangler was totaled in an accident. This is my first classic, and needless to say I’m excited. It really doesn’t need much work, especially compared to what some of you started with. I got it out of Colorado, and had it shipped out to Mass. The PO put a crate engine in it, and the prepurchase inspection supposedly confirmed that everything was running fine and installed correctly.

Unfortunately, it had a hard time starting up on the carrier, and now it won’t start up at all. I think the issue is with the starter, but I don’t have any experience with 350 engines. Hopefully I sort this out soon and move on to other things.

I ordered new tires and wheels (33” Duratracs and 164 Ultra wheels). Other plans include ditching the blocks in back and make it an all spring lift. The top needs some patching, but isn’t too bad. A few new seats, a radio (stock looking with ipod hookup), a speaker or two, and some paint should round out the interior. Eventually I would like to paint it, but that will come later. There is very little rust that needs to be patched, and the underside is remarkably clean. It came with a bunch of extra parts, I still have to see what I have.

A few questions:
- There is no sticker on the glove box, is it possible to look up any vehicle specs from the vin?
- Did all CST vehicles have the badge on the top part of the door?
- Was the only factory speaker under the dash?
- Do those of you with steering stabilizers think it was a worthwhile addition?
- The mirror on the drivers door has no external screws, do you think it was glued or screwed from the inside? Passenger side has no mirror so I would like to match the two and get something original.

AHowe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
70cst

Re: Another newbie with a 72 and some questions

Hey AHowe88 ...

to the forums and from Ohio.

Here is a bump for you

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
69-72

- There is no sticker on the glove box, is it possible to look up any vehicle specs from the vin?
Nope, won't tell you anything you don't already know

- Did all CST vehicles have the badge on the top part of the door?

Yes, it kinda looks like yours would be a CST going by the trim.
- Was the only factory speaker under the dash?

Some came with the speaker in the dash above the radio, some had it hang under the dash. There is no logic to how they chose which got what.
- Do those of you with steering stabilizers think it was a worthwhile addition?

Haven't driven without one, but the bigger the tire the more it would help

- The mirror on the drivers door has no external screws, do you think it was glued or screwed from the inside? Passenger side has no mirror so I would like to match the two and get something original.

The mirror looks kinda like what should be there. The sport style mirrors have 3 screws. Be aware if you add these types of mirrors that the placement of the passenger side mirror is different from the drivers side. IIRC the pass side sits further back.

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Welcome and good luck! If the top of your dash has vents for a speaker in the middle then it was equipped with an in-dash speaker. If not, it had an underdash.

MA - reminds me of a Blazer that was sitting in overgrown brush next to an abandoned house in Burlington I had to drive past on my way to work. It may still be there. Mass had some formula for calculating the amount you could legally lift a truck IIRC.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

That is awesome. Looks like someone was going for a bug out vehicle theme. Maybe paint the top, interior, wheels, n bumpers flat black and call it good for awhile. Any way you go with your build you have a great start. Your starter issues could be: a weak starter, weak battery(especially if it has set for a bit), a bad ground. Go over all the battery and starter connections first. Pull the battery and have it tested. Those are all good places to start looking.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

Nice score. Welcome and good luck with your new ride..........
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
Dale99

for most part I agree with what 69-72 said.

1. not that I know of.
2. I do not know cst info
3. from my readings, all blazers/jimmys got under dash speakers.. if it had a radio option!
4. mine has one, but I think its shot. Its a little work to keep it on the road. Its down the list on things to fix.
5. The sport mirrors have a metal plate that goes on the inside of the door. So the door skin is sandwiched between the plate and the mirror. From what I can tell it looks like it has the holes. You just need mirror/plate/screws. I pop riveted my plate to the door, so I can easily take the mirrors off/on w/o having to disassemble the door.
1972 Jimmy 4x4 L05,4L60E,np205http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=546364
1967 C10 L6/3tree(dads truck)
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
AHowe88

Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcome and info.
AHowe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
mtully79

Welcome! Looks like a great start, good luck with it!
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote