The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
HYPERMAN

Best source for new fuel tank

Where is the place place to buy a new fuel tank for my Blazer? I need a complete unit with sender. Want best quality.
Posted via Mobile Device
HYPERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
70-K5
Account Suspended

Re: Best source for new fuel tank

I bought a new tank from LMC for my 70, it holds fuel and fits between the frame rails.

I just bought a new 40-gallon tank for my Suburban off Amazon.com, found the part number and it was a Spectra tank, most tanks are Spectra. Again, it fits between the frame rails and holds fuel. Amazon was much cheaper than anywhere else.
70-K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
docstheman

Mine is from LMC. It mounts between the frame rails like 70-k5's. It has been Rhino lined and has an interliner and a Rhino lined skid plate.

Click Here for my Blazer Build: 1971 Blazer 4x4

Click Here for my Work Truck Build: 1970 C10 LWB

Toys: 1970 C10, 1971 Blazer 4x4, 1976 Corvette Stingray L82, 2011 Cadillac CTS 6 speed, 2008 VTX 1800F
docstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
HYPERMAN

Did you have to modify the filler neck on tank or just run a longer fill hose?
Posted via Mobile Device
HYPERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Scrat

You need to modify the filler neck on a LMC tank. Here’s a picture of the catalog page with the note at the bottom…

(I'm not one that likes to knock people or stores or anything but here is the experience I had with LMC involving a blazer fuel tank.)

I tried to do this once on a new LMC tank and found that the fuel neck extension was brazed on the new tank… I called LMC and ask what to do as I was expecting solder. The girl told me to heat the neck to remove it (as if it was soldered). I asked about the return policy being enforced as I was modifying the tank and she said don’t worry about it (Specifically this policy: A part which has been disassembled, drilled, welded, cut, painted or modified in any way cannot be returned.. ) So with her permission, I tried this but was unable to get the neck hot enough to come off (it didn’t even start to budge). I called LMC back and explained what was going on. The girl said I could either keep trying or just return the tank. I told her at this point I’d just return the tank as I didn’t feel too comfortable with the way things were going ( fyi, I am a master mechanic of 15 + years and have welded and soldered fuel tanks and radiators etc, etc, etc before). The girl said no problem and that she’d set things up for UPS to stop by and pick it up.

So I’m thinking cool, it sucks that the tank didn’t work out but cool of LMC to let me at least give it a shot. So I clean up the tank as best I could (where I had heated up the neck to try to remove it) and touched up the burned paint. Again everything I did to the tank was with LMC’s permission, except for cleaning it up and touching up the paint.

So UPS picks up the tank and a week later I notice a partial refund (I was supposed to get a full refund, per the girl). So I call LMC and ask what’s up?
According to the person at LMC… because I painted the tank prior to return, I was being charged a restocking fee… I explained to her what had happened and she went on to basically say “too bad for you, you shouldn’t have painted the tank”. I’m thinking ok I can burn it, but I just can’t paint it??? She went on to say that UPS damaged the tank (destroyed it) during transit back to LMC and that it didn’t matter anyways as they could not resell it now.

So now I’m like “UPS destroyed the tank so you can’t resell it, but you are still charging me restocking fees after I asked permission and direction on everything I did to the tank except clean it up and paint it?”

“Yep.”

I no longer order from LMC.
I had been a customer of theirs for years prior to this happening.

On a side note, I have seen where guys have cut the old curved neck off the old tank and used fuel hose to secure it onto the neck of a new tank. I may have tried this if i'd of known about it.

Mods: if this post doesn't belong here or is offensive, please delete. I'm not trying to start anything, just telling my story.
Attached Images

Scrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
docstheman

I just used a longer filler hose. It is a tight fit and if you aren't careful it will kink. Using an old curved neck or any curved non corrosive pipe inside there is a good idea. I think I will relocate the filler cap to someplace cool before I paint though. That's a crazy deal Scrat. Looks like UPS should be liable for the value of the package that they destroyed if you had insurance.

Click Here for my Blazer Build: 1971 Blazer 4x4

Click Here for my Work Truck Build: 1970 C10 LWB

Toys: 1970 C10, 1971 Blazer 4x4, 1976 Corvette Stingray L82, 2011 Cadillac CTS 6 speed, 2008 VTX 1800F
docstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
70-K5
Account Suspended

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, the tank that I bought was identical to the tank that was being replaced. I didn't need to cut or change anything. ???
Old 07-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Sandemonium
Proud owner of a 55.1 AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70-K5 View Post
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, the tank that I bought was identical to the tank that was being replaced. I didn't need to cut or change anything. ???
Where did you buy your tank from? I was told that all replacement tanks were the same.

Here is what I did with my LMC tank -

Since the fill is 1.5" I bought a 90 degree piece of 1.5" fuel hose from amazon, then I went to an exhaust shop and had them take a 2' piece of 1.5" aluminized tubing and put a 125 degree bend in the tubing, I then trimmed the exhaust tubing down the fit between the 90 degree fuel hose and the Jimmy/Blazer fill tube then I took a piece of 1.5" fuel hose and connected the 125 degree piece to the Jimmy/Blazer fill tube. Even thought the Jimmy/Blazer fill tube is 1 3/8" the 1.5" fuel hose works good.

That was my solution, had I known I could have gotten an exact replacement I would have gone that route.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #9
BlazinC5

Here is what I did. I also bought an LMC tank. Knowing the filler would need some attention. Well, I figured I would fugure that out once i got the tank. I decided to not attempt to debond whatever was holding the filler necks to the tanks. Glad I didn't, reading Scrats post. I at the time felt there were to many variables doing so. But the old tank filler was still in good condition so I cut it off about where the new tank filler leaves ya lacking.

Now, That beeing said, Cutting of any sort on an old fuel tank is NOT a good idea. So, how I went about it was that I had left my old tank outside for a few weeks in the baking sun to allow any of the old fuel to evaporate. It would take alot longer if you wanted to get rid of them explosive vapors but I didn't want to wait that long. (who does? ) I got out my hacksaw with a new fine pitch blade, Marked the filler neck and set a fire extinguisher nearby in a patch of gravel. I then began cutting at a very slow pace, as to not generate any heat or spark. It didn't take long and no BOOM. After that it was put the new tank in the frame and tack weld the old neck in position where it was origionaly. granted I had the body off the frame. So it was a bit easier for me at that point. I then took the tank back out finished up the welding and ground it smooth. It seemed to work out pretty well.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
paul mora

You might try a Boyd Tank I just ordered mine yesterday. Give him a call he answer all your questions. The side fill is designed for a truck but it should fit the Blazer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
70-K5
Account Suspended

I bought my tank from LMC, no issues whatsoever?

BlazinC5, if you ever need to cut on a tank again just fill it up with water before making sparks.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
BlazinC5

Just because it's full of water, don't mean it's any safer. Plus, I really didn't want the hassle of 20 gal. of water all over the place.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70-K5 View Post
I bought my tank from LMC, no issues whatsoever?

BlazinC5, if you ever need to cut on a tank again just fill it up with water before making sparks.
Did it come with the bent neck? Or did you just make it work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
70-K5
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by my90k5 View Post
Did it come with the bent neck? Or did you just make it work?
Posted via Mobile Device

It was identical to the tank that was in there... off hand I can't remember the configuration.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
amcgeh01

Why don't you check out NW Metal Products..

http://www.nwmp.com/index.php?option...&id=4&Itemid=4

They make custom tanks, a little expensive but you get what you pay for these days.. It's very solid and it holds 37 gallons, giving me a rough range of almost 800 miles.. Plus they have great tech support unlike LMC which offers none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPERMAN View Post
Where is the place place to buy a new fuel tank for my Blazer? I need a complete unit with sender. Want best quality.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

Thanks amc, that is a little on the pricey side but for an original fit and capacity, I may give them a call.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
1tuff71

One more reply. I bought mine from The Truck Shop and on most tanks you have to use your old inlet. It has that small bend in it that clears the body mount. The one on the new tank has a short straight neck about 4" long and needed a welding torch to heat it up enough to remove. By that I mean the new one was brazed on. My old tank neck came off very easy with just a propane torch and was just soldered on. I had a radiator shop braze the old neck on the new tank. Cost me $40 . I don't think anyone sells a new replacement tank with the correct neck on it but check around.
1tuff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #18
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandemonium View Post
Where did you buy your tank from? I was told that all replacement tanks were the same.

Here is what I did with my LMC tank -

Since the fill is 1.5" I bought a 90 degree piece of 1.5" fuel hose from amazon, then I went to an exhaust shop and had them take a 2' piece of 1.5" aluminized tubing and put a 125 degree bend in the tubing, I then trimmed the exhaust tubing down the fit between the 90 degree fuel hose and the Jimmy/Blazer fill tube then I took a piece of 1.5" fuel hose and connected the 125 degree piece to the Jimmy/Blazer fill tube. Even thought the Jimmy/Blazer fill tube is 1 3/8" the 1.5" fuel hose works good.

That was my solution, had I known I could have gotten an exact replacement I would have gone that route.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info, i think i will follow your lead. Found out that napa has a cross referance number for gates 24715, 1 1/2" 90 degree fuel hose. Ill let you know how it works out

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuff71 View Post
One more reply. I bought mine from The Truck Shop and on most tanks you have to use your old inlet. It has that small bend in it that clears the body mount. The one on the new tank has a short straight neck about 4" long and needed a welding torch to heat it up enough to remove. By that I mean the new one was brazed on. My old tank neck came off very easy with just a propane torch and was just soldered on. I had a radiator shop braze the old neck on the new tank. Cost me $40 . I don't think anyone sells a new replacement tank with the correct neck on it but check around.
That's what I was thinking also, thanks for the reply 1tuff.....