The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
daveboy

Still trying to understand my turn signals

Let me explain my situation: My '52 Chevy has been "restored" by the previous owner. The problem is that he did not complete some of the items. One thing not completed was the turn signals. The truck is wired for signals, and has the turn signal switch installed. It is a 7-wire switch. However, as of this time, there are no lights connected.

I have power on the P terminal of the flasher. But, when I actuate the turn-signal switch, I get nothing on either of the L or X flasher terminals. Without lights wired to it yet, is this correct? Or, should I get power, but just no flash. I know there has to be a load to get it to flash, but does there also have to be a load to get power to those terminals?

My brain is hurting!!!!! Please help.

daveboy
daveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
1project2many

Re: Still trying to understand my turn signals

Flasher is typically wired to provide power to the switch from the L terminal. Power should be available with or without switch being activated. If using conventional type flasher, confirm it's good. I found two faulty new overseas made imports before locating a good NOS part on a NAPA shelf last summer. Also, if electronic flasher it may not provide power if it cannot sense enough current draw in the circuit. These flashers are usually heavier than the old fashioned types. But you could try connecting a regular light bulb or two to the L terminal just to see what happens.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Russell Ashley

Here's a diagram that might help if you are using the old style switch that clamps to the steering column.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Daze57

good diagram
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
daveboy

Thanks for the replies. But, here is the question: I have power supplied to the power terminal of the flasher. However, when I actuate the turn signal, I do not get power on either of the other two terminals. I DO NOT have lights connected yet. So, is this normal not to have power going THROUGH it if I don't have a load?

Thanks
daveboy
daveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
1project2many

Quote:
So, is this normal not to have power going THROUGH it if I don't have a load?
That is the question I answered. The flasher usually has power going through it. But if it's an electronic type it might not supply power until the directional lights are connected. If the flasher's very light weight it's probably a "regular" flasher. If you don't get power through it there's a real possibility that it's failed.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote