The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2003, 01:35 AM   #1
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

god parents are frustrating sometimes

a little overview of the situtation.around 6-8 months ago my dad offered me back my 78 1/2 ton with no engine or transmission back when he bought a 73 3/4 ton to build-we were supposed to use that for parts but he decided to build it up.i told my dad i wasnt interested in building up the 78 back then because my life had kinda started spiraling out of control-well my personal life anyway not my life as a whole so i told my dad i wasnt interested then basically because my heart wasnt in it at the time and i wasnt really ready to start a project i knew my heart wasnt in it.he nagged me every now and then but he more or less respected how i felt.well lately ive giving some thought of building the truck up since my truck now has a good driveline but bad body.well i tell my dad about this earlier tonite since i talked to my uncle about this last night and he said he thought it was a good idea and i should go for it.well my dad laughed and he said that since i owe him money i would have to pay him the 350 dollars i owe him which i dont have at the moment.WTF is up with that 8 months ago he wanted me to take the now i have to pay him for something i legally own.god this day hasnt been good at all and on top of it all i dont feel good to boot.what do you all think.i told my dad if i have to pay him then he can keep the damn truck its not worth the hassle and why didnt he tell me this 8 months ago.i really dont understand people sometimes.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:44 AM   #2
loweredd
www.loweredd.com

Sorry 'bout that. I'd tell him to lick 'em.

LOL.
loweredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:12 AM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

350 bucks for a good body is a good deal if you ask me.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:23 AM   #4
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Quote:
Originally posted by loweredd
Sorry 'bout that. I'd tell him to lick 'em.

LOL.

loweredd i did tell him that just in different words

350 bucks for a good body is a good deal if you ask me.
i dont have it at the moment on top of that i own the truck legally but i gave it to him 2 yrs ago as payment for said debt but he doesnt seem to realize or care that i still have the title.its almost not worth it at the same time i would hate to see a good chevy go to waste.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

Old 12-02-2003, 02:47 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

I know the feeling about not having any money, but you gotta remember that he is your father, treat him with a little respect, he did spend a lot more than 350 bucks on your while you were being raised... If you've got a debt to pay off, then pay it off, from the way you described it, sounds like he wants you to pay off the debt first, then he will give the truck back.

Just my .02
Old 12-02-2003, 03:01 AM   #6
Lynx

Yeah parrents can be stupid some times. Just give it some time and if you already owed him and you paid him with the truck why would he want to just give it way.... who knows.. just give it some time and see what happens, dont burn any bridges right now.

my .02

Ben

1983 Silverado SWB 305
2002 Silverado Extended Cab 5.3
http://members.shaw.ca/bkennett
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:50 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Let me get this straight. You didn't want the truck because of personal problems you were having. You "gave" the truck to your Dad to settle some debts? Then how is the truck still "legally" yours? If you gave the truck in payment for debt, it's not yours. The title may be in your name, but the truck doesn't belong to you.

Now you decide you want to fix the truck up, but you want your Dad to give it back to you, and forget about the debt.

Do I have this correct so far?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:31 AM   #8
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
It sounds like you do.

Maybe I missed something, but a debt to a family member is still a debt. My priority would be to pay off all debts first, then try to get some toys. It will go a long ways toward keeping peace in your family, too, which is probably more important than you think.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 12-02-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #9
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
Let me get this straight. You didn't want the truck because of personal problems you were having. You "gave" the truck to your Dad to settle some debts? Then how is the truck still "legally" yours? If you gave the truck in payment for debt, it's not yours. The title may be in your name, but the truck doesn't belong to you.

Now you decide you want to fix the truck up, but you want your Dad to give it back to you, and forget about the debt.

your both right and wrong.your right and wrong about 1 thing.i told my dad i was interested in a truck project but later on down the line as a result of some personal issues i was having.the reason i gave my dad the truck initially actually had nothing to do with a debt but rather i moved out of state and had no where else to put it since it didnt run at the time so i told my dad to take to his house.the truck is legally mine in the regards to the title still being in my name.he has possession of it at present.a month or so after i had moved my dad inquired about the money i owed him and i then told him to take the truck as payment b/c i dont have the cash to pay you with.he said ok.he offered it back to me b/c the truck i have now runs good but has a bad body and needs major bodywork.ive never once said,thought or asked my dad to forget the debt-if he decides he doesnt care about the debt then cool but that would have to be his decision not mine.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

Old 12-02-2003, 08:16 PM   #10
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

oh yeah he also called me earlier today and said if i want it back take it b/c he has another truck he wants to work on so it would be one less thing for him to deal with.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

Old 12-02-2003, 09:00 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i would make some effort to pay your dad back the $$$ that you borrowed . I would approach him and say " dad i owe ya $XXX but i cant afford to pay you that in one lump some here is $YYY as a deposit and ill try to give you $ZZZ every ( insert time interval here) . The only thing is i thought when i gave you this truck it was payment of this money i owed you. If i miunderstood im sorry i didnt realize it please accept my apology." chances are if youre contrite when you tell him this he will say " aaaw forget it son" and this weekend yall can be friends again and watch the games on the tube

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:02 PM   #12
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Paying your debt off should be a priority. You only owe him $350! If you can't afford that, good luck w/ a project truck. It's easy to spend $10,000 or more.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:20 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by 1974ChevyC10
....the truck is legally mine in the regards to the title still being in my name.he has possession of it at present.....
OK we can agree that the truck is "legally" yours because you have the title. It doesn't appear Dad is trying to dispute that. It appears he is trying to get you to make some adult decisions, and take responsibility for your debt. Do you agree?

If your still with me, then lets look at your options. You can take all this personal, and get puffed up about it, or you can take it in stride and deal with it head on.

Your Dad sounds like he is willing to help, he just wants recognition that you owe him, and you plan to take care of your obligations. Someone already mentioned the best way to deal with this issue. Go to Dad, and sit down and talk it out. Tell him what you have in mind, and ask what he expects in return. I think if get on the same page with him, he'll work it out with ya....

N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:58 PM   #14
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

im still with you guys on this and i do understand and value your insights.and all i meant by not having the money is i just paid my rent yesterday so that is the reason.i have most of what the truck needs to run so it wont cost me alot of money to get it to move and my dad is willing to help on some things he even said he would buy a new bed for it which it does need.the debt between me and my dad will be settled soon because im moving out of my apt end of the month so ill have extra money starting in jan.when i posted this yesterday i needed to vent off because i was in a lousy mood and need to blow off some steam.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB