The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
westong

just didn't go as planned

Well after watching numerous YouTube videos and reading several post of how to install a windshield. Today just didn't work like I had planned. I removed a windshield intact from a parts truck in good shape with no cracks and planned to install it in my truck that had a badly spidered windshield. I removed the old glass from.my truck in pieces so I could reuse the seal after soaking it in tide detergent and powdered dish washing soap. I was really suprised how much it brought the old seal back to life after soaking for two weeks. I took my time and really tried to make it all come out good but after a few tries and acouple hours of frustration the glass cracked when I was trying to re position it as it just wouldn't seat into the top.channel enough were I could get the bottom seal to go were it needed. So off it will go to the proffesionals and get it done right. The bummer of the deal is the local cruise is this weekend and I doubt I will have her done in time....oh well I guess its just the way it goes....
Posted via Mobile Device
westong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
truckster

Re: just didn't go as planned

Don't feel too bad...

Even for professionals it's definitely not one of the favorite windshields to install.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I will be shocked if you can reuse that original seal, even after soaking it. I have always had to put a LOT of lube on the seal to get the windshield in. The back glass is easy, but the windshields are pretty tricky in these trucks.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Don't feel too bad...

Even for professionals it's definitely not one of the favorite windshields to install.
No kidding! The local glass guys around won't even do them. My buddy took his truck to them trying to get it done, and they refused to do it. He ordered a new seal, and we put it in about 10 mins.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Oh wow, I am sorry to hear that. It's not something I would want to try either and I'm sorry you got so close.....is there any pro you can look to?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
ozarks hunter

When I bought my 71 the first thing I had done was the windshield replaced. After calling the local salvage yard that travels around installing them I found out that they will not install on these trucks anymore. They said the rubber they get just isn't right and they had too many complaints. They would sell me the new glass and rubber for like $250 but I would have to install.
I called the local glass shop expecting him to be much higher priced. To my surprise he ordered higher quality rubber and a new windshield installed for $218.
ozarks hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Dova

Depending on where you go, most places up here will still do it but it's $300 for them to do it.
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Orange67

I installed autoglass for 15 years. These trucks are a pain, not too bad if you know the tricks. That said, even a seasoned professional will still crack one once in a while. 55-59's are a nightmare, and the late 60's early 70's Furds are not much fun either. It KILLS me that the younger generation will not even TRY to install classic vehicle glass. I had a tech tell a customer right in front of me that they no longer make the chrome grooved gasket, just because he didn't want to install it. A lot of shops won't install used glass, but that is a liability thing.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
ksshane

I called around to get mine done as well. A few said they wouldnt mess with it and the ones that said they would want to charge 2-300 and you could tell over the phone they werent to crazy about it. None of them asked me when could I bring it by...lol
Old 08-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

I know how you feel i tried to do mine for about an hour then decided to qiuit before i scracth the paint or broke the glass. paid a guy 125. to do it, and to me it was well worth it. and he has done these for thirty years and it took him about an hour.But he said he would take his time and do it right.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Dova

Everyone that I called knew the exact trim needed and weren't thrilled about it but would do it.
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: just didn't go as planned

When I had my truck painted I installed the windsheild and back glass with my 16 year old son and 21 year old daughter. It took me and them both to put pressure on it and to make the trim stay in place. That was about 4 years ago now and it's still holding and it hasn't leaked.
I used liquid Ivory soap a string and the plastic things the glass people use and it wasn't that bad. It took us a few times to get it centered but after we did it went right in.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
Orange67

hahaha, yeah the reason glass guys aren't crazy about the trim is- 1- there are two different types, and even IF you know which it is, sometimes somewhere in the past it got changed out (they each have a different gasket), 2- you set the glass on your cradle, put the gasket on the glass, put the trim in the gasket (I have always used painters tape to hold the trim in the gasket), put the rope in the gasket. Set assembly in truck, begin pulling rope out putting medium pressure on the glass. Problem is- if the trim pops out at all, you're screwed and have to push it out and start all over.....

Old 08-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange67 View Post
A lot of shops won't install used glass, but that is a liability thing.
Even if the shop will install used glass, they won't accept liability for it if it breaks during installation.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Orange67

too true. I just installed a new windshield in my 67 about two months ago, ordered PPG glass, (LOF and PPG are OEM suppliers) anyway, it's made in China, and about 2/3 as thick as the one I put in it 20 years ago. Once I sealed it with urethane, it doesn't move, or leak, it just disgusted me that's the quality we're getting from PPG.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
wreckedchevy

my local safelite says he can put one in my truck for $96 if I provide my own seal they charge $75 for the seal so I was going to order a new seal from lmc, brother, etc
Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
1leglance

so what are the tricks from those of you who know them?

I really don't want to have shattered glass
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
hfd410

I put mine in my 71 myself in ten minutes:

I used a precision brand gasket, and factory trim. Put the gasket on the glass and the trim in the gasket on a stand. Put a rope in the pinch weld groove overlapping at the rear view mirror area. Tape the gasket in place from the front of the glass over the gasket to the back. The rope will cut the tape. Lube it with windex. It will evaporate, soap will not. Set the window squarely in the opening. Do not try to shoehorn the upper corners in. Slowly pull the rope in one direction rolling the gasket in. There is also a secondary lip to work in, easily done with a curved pick. Just have someone hold steady pressure along as you roll the gasket in. It is incredibly simple, not worth getting all amped up over. Click on my avatar for an up close pic. Hope this helps.....Bryan

Last edited by hfd410; 08-05-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: added text
hfd410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
WIDESIDE72

Precision has an excellent install video on youtube. My truck was at my dads house 3 hrs away and i called a few glass places til i found one willing to try it. I furnished a new precision gasket with used used oem trim and used windshield. I told the guy about the video. He sent an installer and his wife/ helper who didnt speak english. The tried for 4 hrs and gave up. My dad tried to explain it to them. The boss came back with him the next day and they got it in an hour. $150, he obviously didnt make any $ on that one!
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote