The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2003, 01:37 PM   #1
skokie

Edelbrock 2101 vs 2104

After doing some research I have found that the Edelbrock 2101 does not have the water ports for the head on manifold by the distributor and the 2104 does. My 350s heads are casting # 33417369...90-up...350..........Gen.I Goodwrench crate motor,
"Hecho en Mexico", 76cc
I am assumming these are iron. Is anyone running these heads with a 2101 manifold? Not sure what to do here. Either to take the 2101 back and get the 2104 or install the 2101. Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:09 PM   #2
skokie

UPDATE:

I have spoken to Edelbrock and they have said that the 2104 is the correct one for my heads the made in mexico heads due to the water ports in the back of manifold near the distributor.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:52 PM   #3
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

The rear water ports don't do anything. As I said in your other thread, the only reason they have them on both ends of the heads is so they don't have to manufacture two different heads for the engine (right and left sides).
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Hmmm, now that I'm looking, it does look like one of those Edelbrock intakes has a water passage crossing over right in front of the dist. Seems odd to have that there.

It also says that its for a later 87-95 engine. Hmmmmm
Old 12-02-2003, 08:23 PM   #5
skokie

Yep you are right. Also it turns out that the bolt goes in different. They are supposed to go in straight and the 2101s or 90 and earlier go in at a angle or vice versa. Man so much involved in an intake manifold. Thanks again!!!

Hopefully soon

Old 12-02-2003, 11:02 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Man, we been through this already. Your engine uses the old style intake bolt setup. It does not matter if you go down today and buy a brand new crate Goodwrench engine right now. They still come with old style heads.

The late style heads use center bolt valve covers. Your heads have perimeter bolt valve covers.

Just because the engine was made since 87 or whatever, does not make it late model heads. Goodwrench engines are patterned after early 70s engine. I personally right now have 2 Goodwrench engines with Edelbrock 2101 intakes on them. One in my 54 Chevy car and one in my Blazer. Neither engine is over 5 years old.

All of the heads you're going to find have water passages front and rear on both sides. Even factory intakes block off the rear ones. Like was said, the reason is so they only have to cast one head, that will fit both sides of the engine.

You are worrying too much about this. The 2101 intake fits your engine. You showed a picture of your engine in another thread. I personally guarantee it will work.

The tech guy or whoever was confused.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:13 PM   #7
skokie

Ok here is a pic of my manifold that is on the truck. Is it me or are the center bolts angled?
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 11:24 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter

Yes, they are angled. All of them are the same angle. Look at all 6 on each side. All the same angle.

On the late model heads, the center 2 on each side are MUCH more straight up and down.

Look, I worked at the GM dealer as a heavy line mechanic. That means I put in engines for a living. It's cut and dry. Your valve covers have 4 bolts around the edge holding them on. EARLY heads. Late style heads have 4 bolts in the middle of the valve covers. Right where yours say CHEVROLET at. Those are late model heads. PERIOD.

I literally have installed hundreds of Goodwrench replacement engines like yours. No exageration, hundreds. Use the 2101 and you're done.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:36 PM   #9
Hooter
My other Love

But will a 2104 bolt onto earlier heads? because I have a 2104 that I will be installing onto my 383 with older 202's

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:48 PM   #10
skokie

Thanks for the info Tx Firefighter. What about the water ports on the back of the head that the 2101 does not have or is it normal and ok to block those?
Old 12-02-2003, 11:52 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter

It's normal to block them. Factory intakes blocked them off.

Like was said, the only reason they are there even there is because that way one head will fit either side of the engine.

Some intakes have been made that connect the rear ports, but the factory didn't connect them, so why try to out think the engineers?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:01 AM   #12
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Listen to Tx Firefighter, he knows more than me.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:32 AM   #13
skokie

You know what Tx Firefighter that (flame suit on) may be the problem I am thinking about it too much. Like I said before I am still a rookie here and dont wanna mess anything up. So in short thanks for the help.

Much appreciated.

Cant wait to get the manifold on there so I can do this:
Old 12-03-2003, 12:40 AM   #14
Tx Firefighter

You should worry about being careful when installing the intake.

Get all of the old gasket off. I use razor blades to get them really clean. Then use carb spray on a rag to remove oily residue.

Then put the gaskets into place and put a nice smooth fat bead of name brand silicone on the block fore and aft.

Place the intake smoothly in place without smearing the silicone or dislodging the gaskets.

Torque the bolts evenly, using good clean bolts without rust or crap on the threads.

Seriously dude, relax. This is supposed to be fun.

When you get the intake and gaskets and are ready to do the install, that's when you need to slow down and ask questions.