The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
focusedontheprize

Bouncing fuel gauge needle/Fuel smell

I have been driving the truck a little and noticing two things:

1. I can smell the gas fumes in the cab. Obviously I would probably get that with the tank in the cab, but it is pretty strong. Brand new tank and no leaks I see. Is this just the usual with this?

2. My fuel gauge needle bounces all around. I am running a brand new 12v fuel gauge in the cluster, everything is ground properly, and still it just bounces around. New float and everything. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks guys.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Bouncing fuel gauge needle/Fuel smell

Normally even with the tank in the cab the only strong fumes you would get would be if there is a leak (you said new tank so not that); fill tube and vent tube rubber is not sealed tight (tight enough not to leak when filling but will allow fumes to pass or leaking during fill); float gasket leaking or float assembly is not sealed; outlet hose leaking in cab or below floor and grommet is not sealed tight. Also check the engine compartment and other connections for leaks, just a small hole in the firewall or floor will let outside fumes into the cab.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
focusedontheprize

Re: Bouncing fuel gauge needle/Fuel smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Normally even with the tank in the cab the only strong fumes you would get would be if there is a leak (you said new tank so not that); fill tube and vent tube rubber is not sealed tight (tight enough not to leak when filling but will allow fumes to pass or leaking during fill); float gasket leaking or float assembly is not sealed; outlet hose leaking in cab or below floor and grommet is not sealed tight. Also check the engine compartment and other connections for leaks, just a small hole in the firewall or floor will let outside fumes into the cab.
I will double check the float seal and the stuff in the cab. Good idea.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote