The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
Yellow Cheyenne

Question OT-Cam advance in a Vortec 4.3L V-6

Posted in the 88-98 board but hoping the question will get more visibility here.

Has anyone ever installed a roller timing chain set that allows the cam timing to be advanced? The set will allow 4 degrees of advance in the cam timing. This is all for a '96 V-6 Vortec (X code) with the CPI fuel injection. If you have tried it, were there any benefits or problems?

Thanks,

Randy
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:45 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

How many miles you got on that CPI? Has any of the problems come up yet?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:11 PM   #3
Yellow Cheyenne

Long strory. The pickup has 194,000 miles on it. I just bought it from the original owner who said he had never had any major work done on the engine or transmission. From the layer of oil/dirt on everything, I believe him. The transmission went out on it a couple of weeks ago. I was going to pull the engine and transmission and while the transmission was being rebuilt, I was going to put a gasket kit in the engine. About the time I pulled the engine, another engine came up on ebay that was from a '97 S-10 with only 64,000 miles on it and I was able to buy it for $365. That is now the engine that I will be reinstalling in the pickup. The one that was in it ran fine, but I just figured with the miles it had on it that this might be a good time to get a lower mileage engine into the pickup for a pretty reasonable amount of money. In answering your question, I did not have any problems with the CPI, but I have only personally driven the pickup for about 1200 miles. I don't think it had been worked on previously. I just hope the engine I am installing is good.

Randy
'70 Olds Rallye 350
Yellow Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:38 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

OK, by 97 they pretty much got it right. (Or are you going to use the intake and stuff from the old engine?)
I am of no help on your original question.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote