The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Old bonz

Front suspension

I seen on the TV last week ( Garage Monkey ) they were using a front suspension out of a crown vic, seems that the grand marquis may work as well.

They were working on an old Dodge, and were saying that these fronts were inexpensive and parts were plenty on these production cars. They had used many of them in the past, and they worked great because of the way the frames were made back then, almost straight.

Just wondering if anyone here has used them on their projects ? and how it worked out?.

I found one for sale on e-bay, and they are cheap compared to a mustang front.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2005-Li...fb482f&vxp=mtr
Old bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Re: Front suspension

I haven't used one of those, although just my opinion : might think about a corvette front suspension and a crossmember from flat out engineering. It would cost around 1100 to 1200 if you shop really good for the corvette suspension,
I would rather run that than some f@rd parts
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
meter swinger

At 67.5" mounting to mounting width they are a bit wide. Search the ford truck forums, they seem to have the most info. They seem to work on 67+ fords and other trucks, dodges and IH's (one would fit my travelall nicely) but you would be really tight with one in a 50's truck despite the fact that they bolt right into a 34" wide frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Added: i remember a thread here on the suspension forum, of a guy putting one in a 195? Something truck and he narrowed the crossmember. Looked like a lot of work. Ill see if i can find it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=448027

Last edited by meter swinger; 08-06-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: + info.
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
luvbowties

Question Re: Front suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old bonz View Post
I seen on the TV last week ( Garage Monkey ) they were using a front suspension out of a crown vic, seems that the grand marquis may work as well.

They were working on an old Dodge, and were saying that these fronts were inexpensive and parts were plenty on these production cars. They had used many of them in the past, and they worked great because of the way the frames were made back then, almost straight.

Just wondering if anyone here has used them on their projects ? and how it worked out?.

I found one for sale on e-bay, and they are cheap compared to a mustang front.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2005-Li...fb482f&vxp=mtr
Old Bonz, I watched that same episode and was surprised to hear them say--whether out of truth or just for tv-production's sake--that they've used several/many of them.

That show featured a Dodge pickup, Ford X-member, and Chevy engine. IIRC, Dodge originally used leaf springs on the front(?). But as far as I could see, the x-member fit nicely. I, for one, would not mind using that much of a Ford on one of our pickups--just re-drill wheel pattern on front & never mention or brag on that particular secret.

I'd love to know what the track width measures as compared to an original, say 1966, C-10.

That pic u showed looked as if it fits flat and well UNDER the frame. But the pic did not show where the top of the member might meet on the top of the frame--they had the (black)'tops' tucked behind the frame on both sides in the pic.

All in all, it's like you/they said: they are plentiful and seem to be an almost all-inclusive swap. One would think it would just have to drive good!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
luvbowties

Question Re: Front suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
At 67.5" mounting to mounting width they are a bit wide. Search the ford truck forums, they seem to have the most info. They seem to work on 67+ fords and other trucks, dodges and IH's (one would fit my travelall nicely) but you would be really tight with one in a 50's truck despite the fact that they bolt right into a 34" wide frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
Added: i remember a thread here on the suspension forum, of a guy putting one in a 195? Something truck and he narrowed the crossmember. Looked like a lot of work. Ill see if i can find it.
Hey, meter swinger, you answered my ??? about the mounting width--I'm assuming that would be between the wheel mating surfaces.

Do you happen to have also at hand the msmt. between the wms on the 1966 C-10--so we can compare the difficulty, or lack of, in making it compatible?
Thanks for the info you already made available for us!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
meter swinger

All the c10's ive owned were 73+ so im not too familiar with 1st gen c10's. Are not the drum brake c10's (70+earlier ) 3/4" narrower per side than the 71+ disc brake series. This would put them @ 63" and some change?
With so much on the market for c10's though i would be confused as to why you would want to deal with the crown vic?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Old bonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Old Bonz, I watched that same episode and was surprised to hear them say--whether out of truth or just for tv-production's sake--that they've used several/many of them.

That show featured a Dodge pickup, Ford X-member, and Chevy engine. IIRC, Dodge originally used leaf springs on the front(?). But as far as I could see, the x-member fit nicely. I, for one, would not mind using that much of a Ford on one of our pickups--just re-drill wheel pattern on front & never mention or brag on that particular secret.

I'd love to know what the track width measures as compared to an original, say 1966, C-10.

That pic u showed looked as if it fits flat and well UNDER the frame. But the pic did not show where the top of the member might meet on the top of the frame--they had the (black)'tops' tucked behind the frame on both sides in the pic.

All in all, it's like you/they said: they are plentiful and seem to be an almost all-inclusive swap. One would think it would just have to drive good!
Sam

Yes that's the show i saw, the crown vic front seems to be self contained, looks like you bolt it to the bottom and then build up the top a bit to the required thickness.
the top part in the picture looks to only be an anchor point and not have anything to do with camber caster.

I've been looking at the corvettes and that's the problem i see, it has to be set up perfectly, or the geometry will be all screwed up, this set up seems much simpler for the Backyard mechanic like me.

Last night i took the cab off the frame to get a better look at everything. It looked to me as if there is a slight bend in the front of the frame that one might have to make level before install, ( if this is the case ).

I'de also rather stick with chev parts on a chev, and ford on a ford, but i am entertaining the idea.............. must do more research.
Old bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
OneOffStroker

I was also in the market for a Crown Vic IFS for my '57, and I went to my local Pick-n-Pull to get a 2003+ Ford IFS. They put them in all of the 'Panther' series cars, which include the Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, and a couple others.

Well, my local yard didn't have anything newer than '01, and those won't work because Ford didnt' go to the modular design until '03.
I was about to search elsewhere, but since I was at the yard and paid my $2 to get in, I thought I'd have a look around the entire lot. That's when I ran across the perfect car in the very last row near the far corner of the yard: a 1987 Jaguar XJ6. I pulled the entire IFS and IRS from the car as well as the steering coupler, driveshaft flange, and brake pedal/booster/master assembly.

The pre-'87 Jags used a modular IFS like the Crown Vics that is essentially a bolt-in crossmember that has both A-arms and all of the steering parts mounted directly to it. Depending on how low you want your truck, it is either a bolt-in or weld-in affair to your old truck. The brake assembly is also modular, and it all comes out with 4-6 bolts, and is easily adaptable to any firewall.

The IRS is a self-contained, bolt-in unit as well. I am going to take it out of the 'cage' and solid mount it to a crossmember that I will fabricate, but it is also a fairly easy swap.

Axle width is slightly narrower than my '57 I believe, but with the right wheels, it will come out just right. Oh, and the lugs are 5 x 4.75" which is a Chevy pattern!!

I only recently pulled these parts so they aren't installed and I don't have pics. Price-wise, it came out to a grand total of about $500 for everything, but I found a gold bracelet on the floorboard of the car that I got $145 for at a pawn shop, so I'm really only out about $350. Not bad for fully independent suspension with 4-piston calipers and a few other goodies!
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Nothing beats the Jags for price.

You've not only have four piston disc brakes, you've got power rack and pinion steering, independent REAR suspension!!! with inboard, cool ass looking brakes. The entire rear can be polished if you're going for the show car look AND you've got the old Chevy car lug pattern. The only down side - an it isn't all THAT much of a downer is the correct rims are hub centric so some Chevy wheels do not fit easily.

I had this setup in my old '46 Chevy truck. It ran and handled great with a 350/350. Too bad I had to sell it before I truly completed it.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOffStroker View Post
I was also in the market for a Crown Vic IFS for my '57, and I went to my local Pick-n-Pull to get a 2003+ Ford IFS. They put them in all of the 'Panther' series cars, which include the Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, and a couple others.

Well, my local yard didn't have anything newer than '01, and those won't work because Ford didnt' go to the modular design until '03.
I was about to search elsewhere, but since I was at the yard and paid my $2 to get in, I thought I'd have a look around the entire lot. That's when I ran across the perfect car in the very last row near the far corner of the yard: a 1987 Jaguar XJ6. I pulled the entire IFS and IRS from the car as well as the steering coupler, driveshaft flange, and brake pedal/booster/master assembly.

The pre-'87 Jags used a modular IFS like the Crown Vics that is essentially a bolt-in crossmember that has both A-arms and all of the steering parts mounted directly to it. Depending on how low you want your truck, it is either a bolt-in or weld-in affair to your old truck. The brake assembly is also modular, and it all comes out with 4-6 bolts, and is easily adaptable to any firewall.

The IRS is a self-contained, bolt-in unit as well. I am going to take it out of the 'cage' and solid mount it to a crossmember that I will fabricate, but it is also a fairly easy swap.

Axle width is slightly narrower than my '57 I believe, but with the right wheels, it will come out just right. Oh, and the lugs are 5 x 4.75" which is a Chevy pattern!!

I only recently pulled these parts so they aren't installed and I don't have pics. Price-wise, it came out to a grand total of about $500 for everything, but I found a gold bracelet on the floorboard of the car that I got $145 for at a pawn shop, so I'm really only out about $350. Not bad for fully independent suspension with 4-piston calipers and a few other goodies!
I have a jag ifs sitting in my garage waiting for me to make up my mind*on whether to do a 4x swap or put the jag in...anyway, do you plan on notching the top of the frame rail to clear upper control arm? Or notch the bottom of the frame and set the crossmember in the notch? My nieghbor has a jag in his driveway, i suppose i need to get over there and measure distance of the crossmember from the ground and do some ride height estimates.
My apologies to the OP for the off topic sidetrack. I'm with dan on the jag for low-buck ifs as opposed the crown vic, it just looks like a better fit, and on 47-55 trucks the upper control arms wont even interfere withe frame like the 55-59's do...0.2 worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
_Ogre

someone on this forum used a crownvic frame, the whole frame, front, rear, wheelbase and all
he inserted some 2x6 tubing into the frame and cut out the wide section in the center
i thought it was creative use of the car

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
OneOffStroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
I have a jag ifs sitting in my garage waiting for me to make up my mind*on whether to do a 4x swap or put the jag in...anyway, do you plan on notching the top of the frame rail to clear upper control arm? Or notch the bottom of the frame and set the crossmember in the notch? My nieghbor has a jag in his driveway, i suppose i need to get over there and measure distance of the crossmember from the ground and do some ride height estimates.
My apologies to the OP for the off topic sidetrack. I'm with dan on the jag for low-buck ifs as opposed the crown vic, it just looks like a better fit, and on 47-55 trucks the upper control arms wont even interfere withe frame like the 55-59's do...0.2 worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wasn't aware of the need to notch anything for the upper control arm, as it does't seem necessary. Once I get everything mocked up, it may become necessary though. I am not using the rubber mounts for the install, but will be welding it to the frame or possibly making it a bolt-in affair. With the rubber mounts taken out, the upper arms should be high enough that the frame won't interfere. There should be no notching of the frame, but I will need to make a 3/4" clearance cut to the crossmember, where the control arm mounts start going vertical. There is a small protrusion-like ridge that is narrower than the 34 inches of my frame rails.

On a stock Jag, I believe that the crossmember is 6" off the ground with their wheel/tire combo. That should net at least a 4" drop over stock straight axle and leafs. Mine will be 'bagged, so it should end up in the weeds...
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
Mac the Yankee

Ogre,

Do you remember who's thread that was?
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
_Ogre

my bad. ad truck w/ caprice frame
my oldtimers is kicking in

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Nothing beats the Jags for price.

You've not only have four piston disc brakes, you've got power rack and pinion steering,
So you say a Jag rack in pinion will work in our truck?
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
meter swinger

OneOffStroker, here is one on a 57 frame that shows the notch to clear the upper rear control arm bushing. I have seen others notch the bottom of the frame to cradle the jag ifs up into the frame, but can't find the pics anymore.
Attached Images