The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Water pump pulley out of line

Hello again. Been working on my '65 c10. Have replaced A-arm bushings, ball jts and tie rod ends. Installed disc brakes on the front with drilled and sloted rotors with wilwood calipers. Got ready to put on the power steering pump by putting the belt back on the alternator and, discovered that the pulley on the water pump is out of line with the alternator and the harmonic bal. I put a straight edge across the alt pulley to water pump. Looks around 1/4". I replaced the water pump when I first got it but, I didn't put the belt back on the alternator and, still havn't started it up. I'm pretty sure this is the only way I can put the pulleys on the water pump ( could I have somehow got the wrong water pump?) Also looks like there wil be a clearance problem with the body of the p/s pump and the belt for the alternator. I also have a question about how the alternator is mounted. I plan on putting headers on the truck and I'm pretty sure there will have to be a bracket or something to relocate the mount. Sorry for being so long winded! Thanks in advance for any help.
Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images

'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
LT1 Burb

Re: Water pump pulley out of line

I feel your pain, I went through the same thing. You can push the water pump hub on further if you need to.
Posted via Mobile Device
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Brad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
I feel your pain, I went through the same thing. You can push the water pump hub on further if you need to.
Posted via Mobile Device
This.

Take the rear cover off the water pump, and support the impeller SHAFT, then press the fan's mounting flange/hub down.
The water pump pulley should be right close to the water pump housing.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There are actually 2 versions of the small block short water pump. There is the one for the '71-'82 Corvette, that has the hub 3/16" farther out from the block. The Corvette water pump measures 5-13/16" from the block to the pulley/fan flange. You could try and find a Corvette water pump pulley, if that is in fact the pump you have.

As for the power steering pump clearance, I see that you have an aftermarket mounting bracket. It is possible that you may have to shorten those spacers. I would install the power steering pump pulley first, and check the alignment to the crank pulley first. Even with the factory brackets, the alternator belt is very close to the power steering pump, and sometimes will rub a little.

Yes when you install headers, you will need an offset bracket that bolts to the 2, #1 cylinder exhaust port bolts, and another bracket to mount your alternator to that bracket. However, since you have heads with the accessory bolt holes, you could change to the '68-'72 truck alternator brackets. Those are a more solid design.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 08-02-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
63burban4x4

I've run across one of those "corvette" short water pumps.....came on a 350 motor I bought from a mid-80's C-60 truck, it was definitely original to that motor. I did not use it, but I noticed it had a larger diameter center "nub" where the fan bolts on, as well as a bypass port in the top of the water pump, plumbed to the upper radiator hose/thermostat housing. Can't comment on the alignment, since I didn't use it. I remember thinking it might have been valuable to the right guy.....but it went in the scrap pile.
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
'65 chevy lover

Thanks to all. That really sucks that I have to take it off there and do that to a new part! After I remove it, I'm going to take it back to O'Reilly and see if a different pump is the same before I take the back off and press the hub farther. Captain, sounds like I should just go ahead and get the '68-'72 truck alternator brackets and be done with it.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would just take the pulley off and measure from the block to the front of the hub and see what it mesures before you take it off. It is possible that you don't have the right water pump pulley. I don't remember seeing a pulley like that.

Yeah, I really like the '68-'72 alternator brackets for use with the short water pump. The one drawback is it makes filling the power steering pump more difficult. Sometimes a longer belt will help that situation.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
rideblue00

If you want to run this double pulley, do you have room to have the mounting surface of the pump machined? Well maybe that wont work cuz the belt wont line up on the crank then. How about having spacers made to bump the alt. out to make it line up?
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
rideblue00

I just measured my WP mounting surface to pulley flange. Its 5 5/8". I have no issues with alignment. Stock setup too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
rideblue00

I also have the same pulley. The 2 3/4 one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
tincan1966

Hate to see the lesson learned the hard way, but with the influx for foreign made parts running rampid and little or know knowledge of older vehicles at the parts stores, you should always carry your old part to the store with you for comparison. it'll answer a lot of questions when multiple parts or options are involved.

Something to consider- once you crack open that pump and start modifying it- any and all warranty is gone. I realize it may be only a $30 water pump, but if you don't have to buy another one.
I normally purchase new, not rebuilt because of lifetime warranties available on most things. May pay a bit more, but have had good results, so far.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote